Help with putting fur up. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Help with putting fur up.

So ive been doing fairly well for a first timer and Ive mostly been selling in the round. Well I caught a little coon that wouldnt be worth much and figured why not practice skinning fleshing and hanging.

Skinning went well. Kicking myself for not doing it to all the big boys i had earlier on. So I bought a half dozen #4 sleepy creek wires today. I need a little guidance for the intial shaping and setup.

Also help with appropriate way of mounting the pelt to the stretcher. How to mount the nose and tail etc, dimensions across at critical points.

Probably all been covered here, ive watched some videos and read a lot of posts but nothing like a little 1 to 1 with you good folks. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Help with putting fur up.

where you located I might be able to help you out
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 AM

Skinning as you found out is pretty easy once you learn to pull tails and learn where to find ears, eyes and corners of mouths and how to pull the front legs etc...really not much to it...

Wire stretches, should come ready to go...keep the fur in and put the pelt on in...center the ears/eyes/front legs/tail...clip the tail to one clip and both back legs to the other and pull them down tight..not super tight...

Clothes pins on the wire on both bottom edges will hold the skirt down..

I like to hang coon by the tail end..

Only problem with wire is getting the tails to dry nice...but there are ways to do it...

Once you try it you will see there isnt much to do with wire...but if you run into trouble ask and you will likely get good answers...

My coon issue is fleshing the back of their necks...i cant get em clean..driving me nuts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 01:22 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
Skinning as you found out is pretty easy once you learn to pull tails and learn where to find ears, eyes and corners of mouths and how to pull the front legs etc...really not much to it...

Wire stretches, should come ready to go...keep the fur in and put the pelt on in...center the ears/eyes/front legs/tail...clip the tail to one clip and both back legs to the other and pull them down tight..not super tight...

Clothes pins on the wire on both bottom edges will hold the skirt down..

I like to hang coon by the tail end..

Only problem with wire is getting the tails to dry nice...but there are ways to do it...

Once you try it you will see there isnt much to do with wire...but if you run into trouble ask and you will likely get good answers...

My coon issue is fleshing the back of their necks...i cant get em clean..driving me nuts...
They really don't need to be totally clean, and there is no advantage to getting them clean.....it shouldn't affect the price....

This is all the cleaner that they need to be...

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
They really don't need to be totally clean, and there is no advantage to getting them clean.....it shouldn't affect the price....

I've always been told to scrape them from the base of the ears down completely clean to white leather. The only red should be on the head, and all that grizzle has to go. An ULU knife works really well on that neck grizzle.
It looks like that coon needs alot of work to satisfy my buyers.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

X2 with fairchild #17 on cleaning them better...Instead of useing a ulu knife I use a fillet knife,BUT THAT WHAT WORKS FOR ME
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:04 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairchild #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822

I've always been told to scrape them from the base of the ears down completely clean to white leather. The only red should be on the head, and all that grizzle has to go. An ULU knife works really well on that neck grizzle.
It looks like that coon needs alot of work to satisfy my buyers.
To be truthful, I usually clean them up a little better than that one, but I never have went the whole way up to the ears..........and my buyer seems to be quite happy with the put up, so I guess it is just a matter of the buyers personal preference?? I don't know.......

For scraping in that area I also use a sharp knife, or the sharp edge of a fleshing knife......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:20 AM

i will have to post pics in a couple days before i head off with my fur..

i know the random missed spots here n there need cleaned up and now that i realized today there is a right and wrong way to use the dull side of my necker, those random spots will clean up now i am sure...but the back of the neck i still cant get...ive even been using a knive and trying to get it by hand..i put more time in 1 coon than a good flesher would spend on my pile..

them big boars are the worst! they are a different critter..bad thing is thats mostly all i shoot..occasionally a good sized sow..once in a while i will be tricked...i shot a true dink a week or 2 ago...looked like a biggun till it hit the ground..that happens once in a while..still went large..

i need to work on it i know that...i am working hard at it...each one i do looks better and better..except that spot i just cant get..and really looks OK till days 2 or 3 when it is getting dry..

buyers seem to hammer me with green coon and at the tail end of the season most dont wanna mess with green coon...so i gotta learn to put em up...then i can sit on them, ship them, sell them local or whatever i wanna do...if i established a connection with a buyer and they felt they could trust they were getting good green fur they'd probably pay better..we used to have that..but they both retired..but when a random guy comes in with green coon, a buyer isnt gunna pay much..i understand that..

i will get it right! im sure i will have another dozen or so to practice on by the end of the year unless we actually get a winter...if this weather keeps up i might have a pile..anything above 30 and i can plan on skinning 1 or 2 a nite if i want..

funny you can look at my coon and pretty much put them in order based on looks...1 has a big window when the knife caught a boar...my buddy skins fast and leaves me too many presents to deal with later and i knew right away that was the 1 he skinned one nite..
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the info so far, unfortunately i need to back peddle a bit. First attempt at fleshing was a total flop. Luckily this was a tiny coon, but i majorly failed at that. I started out good, got t down to white leather but just wasnt able to get into the meat on the back.

Heres where I think I went wrong. First off I have no official flesh beam. What should I make, seemed like it I had something with more concave to it the knife would bite better and I could scrape away easier. I was more or less on a flat board and I cut too many small holes.

I skinned yesterday and couldnt source a fleshing knife til tonight so the hide sat until I was able to get back out there tonight. Maybe its a tad easier going right after skInning?

I ended up getting a necker knife and the dull side wouldnt do a thing.

Im determined to get this down!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 AM

look into maybe making a PVC or hard wood beam...or buying a hardwood beam...some love a PVC beam...i might make one to try...a flat board with a curved knife like a necker just dont work...

you should be able to pretty easily push off everything except the meat and fat on the back of the neck...as long as a you dont hit a tit or [censored] or burr or tick or folded up pelt etc you shouldnt rip a hole with the dull side...i havent..always brush before fleshing or you will hit a burr and blow a hole..same with ----, [censored] etc..dull side of the necker will get everything clean except the back of the neck....when you are holding the knife the coon on the necker knife should be up...wish i knew that when i started lol...makes a world of difference!

i actually prefer to let my coon freeze slightly before fleshing...i skin and if its below freezing that nite i leave them in the truck bed leather out...if its warmer i freeze till morning..wake up and thaw for an hour or so and start fleshing...somewhat frozen seems to flesh easier for me...warm just makes a slimy mess of grease..when its cold its more solid..

small coon are also a different animal than a big boar...a small coon is more like a fox to me..a little more fleshing required..but all pretty easy to get off..thinner leather than a bigger boar IMO..i thought practicing on small coon or early coon was a good thing..then i got to a big primed up boar and realized they are a different critter...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page