Out of retirement.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Out of retirement....

My dad hasn't trapped for about 25 years... Finally got him interested in running a mink line. Put out a dozen bottom edge sets 3 days ago and picked up a mink last night.. He's hooked.. lol.. Not a 110 around that isn't in the back of his truck for tomorrow's bridge to bridge cruise..
I've never used the bottom edge set. I figured it'd be the best way to go for him since his back is no good and setting the bridges mean little walking.. After seeing him make a catch in 2 nights I'm gonna be keeping an eye out for more bottom edge locations..
I set him up with a bunch of ready to go coni holders. Flat stones with about a 1 inch piece of metal strapping bolted to it (the kind that they bundle lumber with) and the traps wired to the stone through another hole...
I like the setup. Very convenient. Easier than leaning bricks (especially if the bottom is mud).. But if anybody has come up with a better or quicker way to quick setup a 110 for a bottom edge set then I'd appreciate any advice..

It is time to manage avian predators!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 PM
New Arrival

Re: Out of retirement....

Great Job!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Part of the Community

Heres what i use...a kb stabilizer weled to a 1/4 inch plate a little bit bigger than the stabilzer with a hole in the corner of plate to tie off or put a threaded rod thru for deep water trapping... it works i have done very well with this setup.. set the coni on the stabilizer put it where u want it and go..u can pm me and i can give u exact measurements.. i had a dozen made up at a welding shop cost me 60$.. whole rig only weighs a couple pounds and they will last u many seasons.. way lighter than r/r plates...good luck

2014 - 2015 trapping season
Mink- 18
Muskrats- 30
Red fox- 63
My son & I both got bobcats. 15# & 37#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPOUSN
Heres what i use...a kb stabilizer weled to a 1/4 inch plate a little bit bigger than the stabilzer with a hole in the corner of plate to tie off or put a threaded rod thru for deep water trapping...
Well with my setup you put the coni on and just put it where you want. If you can reach...

The threaded rod? You leave it in there and use it to place the trap in deep water? That'd be a big help so he could hit some spots that are too deep or tough to reach. Again, he's got a real bad back... One other question on this setup, and the bottom edge in general, should this threaded rod be rusted up or won't the mink mind a shiny rod alongside the conibear? I'm thinking that they really let their guard down when their swimming on the bottom. I'd also imagine their visibility is limited.. But I don't know much about how or why the bottom edge works. I just know that it did last night. lol
Thanks

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 AM
Part of the Community

I just left the rod shiny..what usually happens is leaves wind up covering.. i have caught mink from 2 - 4 feet of water.. the plates are light. I got stabilizers from pcs outdoors.. the best is when u have them made they will last a long time.. i plan to spray paint everything black for next year....this is my first year trapping, i have only really targeted mink..i have 30 sets out..pm me and i will tell u my results...and any other questions just ask

2014 - 2015 trapping season
Mink- 18
Muskrats- 30
Red fox- 63
My son & I both got bobcats. 15# & 37#
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:16 AM

Tag Team, back again!

Glad to hear it!

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

bad backs and minking are a tough combination :0 I had a sore lower back muscle last month that kept me off the mink line for a day, yeah ADVIL
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

ya.... His back is broken in 2 spots and a few discs gone... (yeah, morphine pump...). So cutting pockets or digging dirtholes is pretty much out. Take care of your backs fellas. Aside from goin blind, I don't think it gets much worse than back pain... But this bottom edge thing with the holders at bridges, and a telescopic pole with a hook for retrieval is the ticket. I'm getting him set up as nice as possible.. We went out and set another dozen bridges today.. By the 3rd bridge it was decided that insulated gauntlets are gonna be Christmas presents to each other.. I'm not really a water trapper but I can see I'm in this whether I like it or not and I'm done rolling my sleeves up...lol..

Any recommendations on gloves? I quickly looked around and liked the look of the "polar paws" on minntrapprod.. But I have NO idea what I'm looking at or what I'd wish I had known...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Glad to see he's out of retirement and trapping again! I've always heard about back problems and thought, it really can't be that bad, until I experienced it myself. It's not fun when you can't get out of bed or do simple things like tying shoes.

The horizon is your starting point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page