What now - advice needed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What now - advice needed

I tried dipping my traps in acrylic floor finish with dye as was recommended on here some time ago. It went terribly wrong for me. I did this some time ago and hung them in the barn. I pulled them out tonight and the finish rubs off exposing rust. I knew I didnt like the looks when I did them but didnt expect this. My question is what now? I will be targeting bobcat only. Would you use as is or attempt to strip and redo them? Any input appreciated.

If you come to the end of a path, do not turn back, continue on and make your own trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581
Re: What now - advice needed

Got someone who can sand blast them? If it just rubs right off id hit it with some sandpaper and then power wash them with just water at the car wash. Let them hang outside a day or two to dry. Dye them with commercial die or walnut hulls and then dip them in wax.

You know what works awesome for wax? A crockpot! When youre done just let it cool until next time. Dont use your wifes.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Bound
I tried dipping my traps in acrylic floor finish with dye as was recommended on here some time ago. It went terribly wrong for me. I did this some time ago and hung them in the barn. I pulled them out tonight and the finish rubs off exposing rust. I knew I didnt like the looks when I did them but didnt expect this. My question is what now? I will be targeting bobcat only. Would you use as is or attempt to strip and redo them? Any input appreciated.
Just use them as is if you are strictly targeting cats...........it wont matter.........if you are really worried about it, you could just wax them.....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:03 AM

I am confused on how the floor finish is expected bind to the trap in the first place...cant see it sticking to moving parts at all...?

Anyways...for cats, they are likely fine...IF they function smoothly...cats dont care much about sight or smell...most western cat guys run exposed traps just to avoid coyotes...

I am a greenhorn....but havent found anything better than dye and wax for canine traps...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I should have never tried it. Old ways are the best. I'll probably bite the bullet (I am pressed for time) and dye and wax after cleaning them good.
Thanks for the feedback.

If you come to the end of a path, do not turn back, continue on and make your own trail.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 AM
The Man

how many traps do you have to strip ?

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quickest way I have found to clean/strip is with Drano crystals. They sell it at Wal Mart. Let them boil for a good hour at a high temp. Hang them and rinse them well. For cats, I would just wax them at that point to keep them from rusting.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

2 dozen. It shouldnt be too bad - just bad timing with everything else I have going on and the season closing in.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bummer about the traps. This is why I prep traps in July/August just in case.....

The horizon is your starting point.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

Knowing your quest for a cat started when mine did, I have traps dyed and waxed ready to go if you are in a real bind that I would let you borrow. If need be, pm me. If not good luck on the cat..

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page