Springhole Trappers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Springhole Trappers

For those of you that use this set, your springs should be fixed up and "healed over." It will soon be that time of year. Cold weather is coming.

It's a bit late to be fixing up new springs now, but if you don't have to do much digging or re-arranging, you might get away with it. I have.

Also, you might be wanting to save your gutted out 'rat and mink carcasses for bait. Remember to toss a screwdriver in your coat pocket to tighten up those trap pans. I never found a loose, wobbly trap pan to be of much value in making water sets. I want the fox to really have to put some weight on that committal step. Makes for a good pad catch every time. If he feels "creep" many times the fox will be pulling his foot back while the trap is firing. This results in toe catches or misses.

Good luck and tight chains.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Springhole Trappers

I now spend too much time trying to figure out why springs come out where they do than to trap them LOL. BTW last season I had a warm seep that went into the main stream. That was interesting all in itself. The only one I found there, and how I know it was warm was all the grass and moss and algae that was there all winter, whereas other seeps did not have all this growth around/in them. This is the type seep to dig out a bit for a spring hole set so it doesn't freeze over when the others do. I didn't LOL, I was too fascinated by it to even think of it. Not enough foxes around there anyway last year.

Oldmink, any idea why some seeps are warm when all the others near it are not?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Oldmink, any idea why some seeps are warm when all the others near it are not?
I don't have a clue, Steph. On those bitter cold mornings you can see the warm vapors steaming into the air.

Those are great set locations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:39 PM

Anyone have pics of.spring hole sets??? There is.one behind camp.i set last year...i think.eventually i may snag a fisher there...it is in the creek bottom where the hemlocks start transitioning to hardwoods...not really a foxy area unless a gray came.along...though the grouse and.mice and squirrels are in that area..a red may come through...

What baits/lures work? Anything better than another??

How far is the trap and how far from the trap is the bait rock?

Cool set...should definitely be effective...just not sure if i set it right...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Part of the Community

OldMink,
How big do you make your spring holes? By that I mean, how big of an area do you dig out?
I've experimented with this set some and so far have only caught a bunch of coon.

Thanks for the reminder, I have one spot where there is an excellent spring and I know there are fox and coyote running the area.
The way I was taught to make this set, the distance from the landing rock to the lure stick is minimal--less then a foot.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
How far is the trap and how far from the trap is the bait rock?
Place your trap so the free jaw faces the bank where the critter will approach. Some trappers prefer to have this free jaw touching or all but touching the bank, however I prefer my free jaw to be about 6 inches from the bank which means my pan is about 8 inches away. Use a good stepping sod, either sod or nice thick tree moss.

Your bait rock should be 8-10 inches beyond the trap.

Quote:
What baits/lures work? Anything better than another??
For lure I have used Hawbakers 300 for years. I have also used Hawbakers 200 as a change up.

I do not recommend using a fox gland type lure at a springhole set. Lures with lots of beaver castor seem to work well.

For many years I have used hog cracklings which I get at a local butcher shop. Two full cakes will bait a lot of sets and provide a nice snack for you should you get the munchies out trapping. To keep my cracklings fresh and smelling good, I keep them in 10 pound lard cans. If you are going to snack on the cracklings yourself, best carry along a salt shaker in the vehicle. They go better when salted.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Here is one of a couple I made in 09. It didn't hook upbut I will try again. I may make a little bigger around.
Any suggestions?

TRAP TORCH
Life Member PA Trappers

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 AM

This is the only springhole I use. Gives a few coon every year. Will catch a fox in it sooner or later.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 AM

Thanx for the info guys!!!

Never thought about actually "making" a spring hole in a seep..

The one i found at camp is already a spring hole and like any good spring hole, it doesnt seem to freeze up...where as making a puddle in a spring seep will likely freeze up in cold weather...

If i am trapping camp again i will set it again...easy access to it..its within 300yds of camp...havent decided if i am heading up thursday or friday for a week or not....gotta be in Michigan the following weekend so thatd be cutting it close...but i want a fisher and a cat bad...and there are reds to be caught up there that i have a blast catchin..
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My son and I tried this last year.....no fox but it was a killer on big boar coons late. We also picked up a buck mink. We certainly will set it again this year once the "ice is in". I think we just used a touch of mink gland lure.

If I'm not hunting or fishing with the kids....I'm somewhere on a Judo mat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page