1 trap hay set - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

1 trap hay set

Anybody make hay sets with 1 trap? Just mound the hay and place a trap in front of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: 1 trap hay set

I think I saw a post some time or other where a guy was using one trap and making the hay into a semi-circle shape and the trap placed in the circle

I love The Grateful Dead
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 PM
The Man

It can be done, a k9 will dance around that set sniffin for a while.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 PM

yep...it works....use your imagination and guard the scents with a trap and make them step on the pan...

i caught 2 reds at camp during bear season this year to a mound set guarded by a trap..made 2..caught a fox at each...took 1 at a dirt hole..

i am probably going to run mostly 1 trap haysets for now on...i dont know if there is any benefit to using 2 traps...and after having a yote caught in both traps i now stake them so far apart that i need too much hay to make it 1 set...

i make my set so they are very prone to stepping on the trap if they work the set though...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Use it here..hay is formed into a V..gland lure n pee

..sitting in a tent over decoys ain't turkey hunting...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM
The Man

I don't run very many sets during late season. So I use 2 traps per set. Even conventional post and dirthole sets along with chaff sets.
I feel it increases my odds during foul weather conditions (snow).
When I was young and showed 'the chaff set' 3 traps were used. Maybe I still have thatthere 2-3 traps for late season in my mind, but Iam stick'n with it...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM

While it may not be hay or straw but just what ever is available like brushogged material piled up for eye appeal, 1 trap gaurding that majical smell fills quite a few stretchers. Because they are so simple and quick to make they are made at nearly each property with fields.

When the weather turns nasty straw is used instead of hay. It breaks up better for blending and burns quickly if a fire set is desired.

Have used as many as 4 traps at large straw or fire sets and have made multiple catches at these.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM
The Man

Today is OldMink's birthday!

Old Timey Note:

Years ago my father was acquainted with a fox trapper who lived near the hunting camp my father frequented in Potter County.

This fellow specialized in foxes and, according to my father, amassed quite a number of pelts considering the trapper operated solely on foot in those mountains.

Father never did accompany the trapper on his line, but father did stumble across some of his sets. He didn't know much about fox trapping but knew enough not to poke around.

Father described the sets as appearing to be a pile of ashes scattered about. I suppose the ashes alone in a pristine mountain setting would prove an attractant to a prowling fox.

I never tried playing about with such a set. I have always found between the dirt hole set and the water or springhole set I could catch any fox I wanted.

Good luck. Tight chains.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Do whichever version of a hay set you want, if you have foxes, you will catch them. I've caught them in lazy dirthole/hay sets, where there is the standard dirthole, but you use chaff to cover the trap over, and spread hay chunks as a backing and to the sides. I also put chaff in the trap bed so the trap doesn't freeze to wet ground. A few small rocks to stabalize the trap in the bed is also used. That's what I have out right now, used to catch foxes when I had them...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Part of the Community

I usually use a horseshoe shape to the hay and put the trap in the center. Here's one I made today. A little different-this is just chopped grass where they brushhogged, but we had so much rain, a dirthole would be a mudhole...so I pound a bed for trap, chop up grass with scissors over trap, add bait under the grass clump I gathered up and added a golden rod guide stick. Hope this catches something, took four reds nearby earlier and there are usually a few grays running in this area too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page