My first wax dip??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

My first wax dip???

This was my first time dipping traps in wax. I got 10lbs of non scented candle wax from ac moore. I had my traps dipped in KBL dip,dried for 2 weeks then i waxed. My wax was very brown when i was done and i thought my traps kind of had a smell by the time i was done waxing but after drying i didn't notice any smell. I seem to have some buildup on some spots on the traps, on the bottom where it was dripping. What im wondering if this is normal? Did i do it correctly? This is my first time waxing. Im not sure if the pics do any justice. any help will be greatly appriciated. Thank you for your time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: My first wax dip???

The traps look great to me.....

Your wax will end up discolored over time. The heating process when you put the traps in the wax will take some of the dye or dip off. No big deal. Not sure about the KBL, or the candle wax, as I haven't used it before.

The drips of wax are really not an issue unless they are in places that interfere (end of the pan, end of the dot, swivels etc). I leave mine in the wax for a good 60 seconds until the trap gets to the same temp as the wax. Pull them out and shake them really good to get the excess wax off.

Once the wax cools on the traps, I use a flathead screwdriver and a file to clean up the notch in my trap pan and the end of my dog. Then i make sure to twist all of my swivels to make sure they move and aren't waxed solid....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Part of the Community

Normally you don't wax over KBL,it is supposed to do what the wax does.I am not surprised you noticed an odor. If the wax was hot enough you probably scortched the KBL.I don't know what to tell you to do to get rid of the odor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 PM

Sounds like maybe burnt the KBL or the wax....how did you melt the wax???

How long was each trap in there??

I put 2 toilet bowl rings in my 10-12# of candle wax...makes a world of difference...the rosin makes the wax "stickier" and not brittle...when i used straight candle wax it blew apart and flaked off easy..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06

I put 2 toilet bowl rings in my 10-12# of candle wax...makes a world of difference...the rosin makes the wax "stickier" and not brittle...when i used straight candle wax it blew apart and flaked off easy..
i Melted the wax in a pot on a coleman propane stove outside.
Each trap was in the wax for 45-60 seconds.
I did notice the New traps flaked a little but the older ones with a light coat of rust adhered great. Guess next year the new traps will take the wax better.
Would there be any reason you guys would not run the traps that seem flakey? should i set them this weekend? Thank you
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06

i Melted the wax in a pot on a coleman propane stove outside.
Each trap was in the wax for 45-60 seconds.
I did notice the New traps flaked a little but the older ones with a light coat of rust adhered great. Guess next year the new traps will take the wax better.
Would there be any reason you guys would not run the traps that seem flakey? should i set them this weekend? Thank you
They will be fine, you really don't even need wax......they are flaky, because the candle wax is probably all paraffin which is a brittle wax........

For future reference you should probably leave the traps in the wax a little longer than that too.....the idea is to let the trap get heated up to the wax temperature.....which makes the wax stick better, and less flaky......

Don't worry about the wax taking on color either....my wax is pure black from using it repeatedly.......I just add a new block of wax whenever it gets low.......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page