fisher trapping ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

fisher trapping ?

heya gang
this is the first year my son and i got our fisher tags. last year on opening day of archery season we saw 3 fisher. so this year we discided to get our tags. now i'm no dummy to trapping (well sometimes the animals make me feel that way LOL)and with only 6 days to trap fisher. i started today to pre bait leaning poles and old hollow stump ends. do you think this is a good idea or not? i also put a small ,small amount of lure with the bait not alot though. just asking for some input i guess on ,,,,not so much,,, fisher trapping,,,,but what do you guys and gals do before the season comes in or do nothing?
thanks for the info

MY Boys are MY LIFE,,,
Showing them how to become MEN is MY MISSION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Re: fisher trapping ?

come on gang,,,,,do other people prebait for these critters because we only get a 6 day "season"?

MY Boys are MY LIFE,,,
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would help you but dont know anything bout fishers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

thanks LF i really dont either but my son and i are gonna give 'er a whirl this year LOL.....someone on trapperman.com told me peanutbutter works the best,,,,,of all things freakin peanutbutter LOL

MY Boys are MY LIFE,,,
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

i was pm'd a question? "would it be legal to put the running pole in the water of a water coarse goin to a tree on the bank then use conis for fisher?"
this is a great ? ,,,,,can we do this?

MY Boys are MY LIFE,,,
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 AM

What happens when you have 6 conis out and whack 6 fisher that nite???? If i.set any it would be 1...and it would be checked first every day...

From what ive read running poles are typically best when snow is deep...not an.issue here in PA....

Prebaiting...i dont know...from what ive read it sounds like fisher roam around.hunting and may be weeks before they return....unless they are working a deer carcass or have a great food source etc...but typically they roam and keep on the move...making our short season tough....

Good luck! I hope to try again this season...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I asked the same question a couple of months ago, is it legal to use a running pole set in the water? I never really got a straight answer but but from what I understand, you probably could as long as it's in a cubby and the coni is recessed back 7 inches. I've been getting a fisher tag ever since they have been legal. I caught my first one this year in a flat set and released it. I plan on using the same type of flat set along with big dirt holes sets using beaver meat and lots of powerful smells.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
New Arrival

No need to prebait, no need for running poles, why go into these grey areas when you don't need to. Look for hemlock groves and transitions between types of forests. Use messy dirtholes and cubby sets. I will try to make my sets appealing for cats too, as it is bobcat season as well. Don't be afraid to use guiding, as it works well for both these crittrs. Fishers have large home ranges and travel a ton, so I can't see prebaiting helping too much. I have caught many fishers here in pa but never got to keep one, I also caught a good many in Maine. I have never set a running pole before. Use stinky baits, and if you really have no clue where to start looking, I have never seen an area with a high population of red squirrels and hemlocks without fisher sign. Use glands from any member of weasel family, beaver castor, rotten venison, etc and you should be good. With fisher your better setting a ton of sets over a large area, and dont worry about how perfect they are. Hope this helps
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

yoteclubber, good advice. I will try to pickup some a skunk carcass or two for mr fisher. Plan on making cubby set can't explain it but their is an idea hatching in my brain. Good luck to all, catch some fisher and Bob's. Wohoo!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

thanks yc.... and yeah good luck to everyone else

MY Boys are MY LIFE,,,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in