Bobcat Newbie - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Bobcat Newbie

Ok i might as well join in with this as well.. some of you have been asking questions on what to use and how to set up.. i took most into consideration and thought i would ask this..

i have 12 duke #2 coilsprings dyed and waxed ready to go, i have kishels triple dig it, which according to their website is a curiousity lure.. i also have deer meat scraps that i have in my freezer from last week.

can you suggest a basic set for me to place traps out for the season opener.. i would like to get a cat, but not objecting to a coyote... my area is coyote and bobcat heavy.

mostly all mountain roads with alot of pipe drains going down over the mountain side.. lots of giant rocks as well with little cubby cave like openings in them.. i heard people have good success for that as well. These would all be blind sets, 2 places in particular i had seen 1 run across the road but that was last season...

just hoping to get some actual insite on a particular set... direction of trap, backer, ect. if you dont feel like messaging on here shoot me a pm..

id like to do it right and not waste my or your time in the process..

Chris

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM
The Man

Re: Bobcat Newbie

Cubbys, walk-through cubby's, and blown out, flashy dirtholes........I make a lot of walk-throughs like this: and catch quite a few cats in them....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Here's some great info. on this link...

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...62455&page=all

Honesty is my only excuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the link long beard

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I can tell you they like to walk the roads and trails.

Good Sanctuary vs. Good Food Plot
Sanctuary wins by a first round Knockout!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

i know 3 spots where i saw them last year with tracks in the snow.. so ill hit that heavy and look for sign.. hopefully we get a dusting of snow where im at by then...

can you just go overkill on blind sets without sign even though you are almost certain you think they are around?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM

I have always read that when trapping cats set when and where you see sign. Setting without sign is a waste of time. When you see cat sign in snow, esp. deeper snow, that cat will be back through that same area again and if his or her's tracks are still in the snow you can bet that they will put thier paw right back in that track without thinking twice. Also cats run areas in cycles. Some are 2 day, 5 day or even 8-10 but usually no longer then 10 day turns esp. in vast mountain areas as in north central Pa. cats are preditors and have to eat and the colder the weather the more they have to eat. Do your scouting now. With or without snow. I hope you got out in last weeks dusting and did some scouting because with this warm weather it could be the only snow you have till late in the cat season. Even after any rains get out there and scout muddy roads , drainages and deer trails on the edge of thick cover. It all will help you fill that tag.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

I hhunt deer in the same spot.I'll be trapping. I have a doe tag to fill so I'll be scouting this sat and Sunday

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
Cubbys, walk-through cubby's, and blown out, flashy dirtholes........I make a lot of walk-throughs like this: and catch quite a few cats in them....

Buckshot - can you share more details on how you set with the pipe?

If you come to the end of a path, do not turn back, continue on and make your own trail.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Bound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822

Buckshot - can you share more details on how you set with the pipe?
Sure........I have various chunks of pipe in all different sizes........the smallest diameter probably being 15" and the largest being around 36"......and they range from 2 feet to four feet long.......I get them from work when we get pipe delivered, or cut a piece off of a full stick...........I only use them in places that I can drive to, or have a short walk as they are large and bulky/heavy...........
I take the chunk of pipe, and drill 2 holes in the middle of it about 6 or 8 inches apart, and run a long loop of wire through them.......I do this so I can wire the bait in there, and keep animals from making off with the bait........

I set the pipe with the bait inside in a likely location.......and then I will bed a trap at each end of the pipe about 6 or 8 inches away with heavy guiding to the trap......I usually cover the trap with a dusting of peat moss, and some flake antifreeze or mist it with glycol........sometimes I stake the trap, sometimes I run drags......it depends on the area.....I usually also throw a few hemlock boughs over the pipes just to camo them up a little, but I'm sure the bare pipe would attract a cat too......

Usually, I will squirt a little bit of urine on a stump or log a few feet away from the pipe, then I smear lure on the top rim at each end of the pipe.......I also usually use a call lure a few feet away up high......

Me and my buddies have caught a lot of bobcats using these pipes as cubby's over the last 6 or 7 years.......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page