Floating Creeks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Floating Creeks

How do you guys handle floating creeks or rivers for trapping?Question is do you have to get permission from every land owner along the creek before you set?I have wanted to do a float trip for a long time and wasn't sure how to go about it the right way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 06:36 PM
The Man

Re: Floating Creeks

I do not know the law, but was always told that on rivers and large creeks so long as you stayed below the high water banks, you were good to go. These places were navigable waters and open to all.

But like I said, I am no lawyer or in law enforcement so I don't know chapter and verse, just what I was always told.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 PM

No you must get permission from landowners for most waterways.... http://fishandboat.com/water/public/...lic_waters.htm Also there is this..Important note to anglers -- Many waters in Pennsylvania are privately owned, the listing or mapping of waters by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission does not guarantee public access. Respect the privacy and rights of landowners - always obtain permission before entering any privately owned land. Approved Trout streams we are allowed to fish through the grace of L/O's, but even on those certain "posted" areas may not get stocked..

I f it worked I sent a PM to the OP.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM

look up navigable waterways for PA. There is a list that is established by law Which streams are owned by the Commonwealth. Small streams are generally private. But you may be surprised.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM

Seems to be a differance of opinion...PFBC saying there is no list ....DNRC now having a map. Maybe DNRC only covers the portions (waterway) on State Park/Forest lands ?

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: Emigsville, York Co.; McCarroll Corner, Sullivan Co.

I have a survey text on my desk written by Knud Hermansen that contains a list of navigable waters in the appendix. The list was compiled by the Department of Forests and Waters in 1916.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM

I sent an E-mail to the PFBC yesturday(sent one to DNRC too if it worked) .....Here is the PFBC's answer(or lack of)reguarding the DNRC's map---Hi Martin,
Fish and Boat Commission does not determine which waters are navigable and therefore public. Only a court can decide. No agency, including the Fish and Boat Commission, is authorized to determine navigability by administrative action.---
There's more but it just tells me to look at PFBC's Site(I posted that earlier). I have not got an answer from DNRC(but I'll bet it directs me to the PFBC )
You may have a list,,, but if along the way the Deeds got reworded so that L/O "x" owns "the stream" the cops can charge you with tresspass and you must prove in court that "the stream" was once navigable. Which is what happened with the Lehigh river and the Little J. Both started as tresspass against claims back in the 80's

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM

i can assure you that list is valid. a private entity can not own those waters. think about it. an individual does not own portions of the Susquehanna or the Juniata, or the Monongahela, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page