Cleaning New Traps - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning New Traps

Got a quick question. It has been years since I trapped. When I did as a kid, I didn't really know what I was doing anyway. Anyhow, this is my situation. My son wants to do some trapping for fox and coyote, so for Christmas he is getting some new traps. How do you clean off the oil and grease from the new traps? Do I need to bother dye and waxing them this year or since we will only use for a couple months, can I wait and do it after the season. The reason I ask is I know that he will be hounding me like crazy to go set traps on Christmas Day. We were planning on doing just a few haysets since it seems pretty simple to do especially with the cold weather.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Cleaning New Traps

It hard to remove. I use Hot Lye water. No need to dye, just wax. But you need them fast. Do you have a cement mixer? Ad a bag of sakrete and a doz of traps for 20 or 30 mins, this will shine them up.

TRAP TORCH
Life Member PA Trappers

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Part of the Community

just get speed dip or F1 dip. clean the traps first with reg. gas in a 5 gal bucket to get the oil and grease off them. then mix your speed dip and clean reg gas together or colemans lantern fluid. dip your traps in and let dry. do this in a well ventilated area also. reg gas works alil better on drying time then colemans lantern fluid also. hope this helps ya

MY Boys are MY LIFE,,,
Showing them how to become MEN is MY MISSION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A dishwasher will clean them real quick.

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM

As to the first cleaning... put them in the dishwasher. Run one cycle with soap, and the next one without. Make sure to secure the chains so that they don't drop down into the spray arm. Use the high temp rinse cycle if your dishwasher has one. Since you're using hay sets, I would prefer to dye and wax my traps, since with a hay set you're not burying the traps in the ground. Do NOT use speed dip on canine traps! I used Formula 1 once and did alright, but I did notice quite a few refusals (I still use it and like it on water traps though).

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The way to check if you new traps is clean from oils is rub white rag on the steel. It shoud be clean clean. I have tryed the dishwasher and it still will leave oil residue on the steel even if ya run it a couple of times. As for dips, this time of the year speed dips may not dry in time.

TRAP TORCH
Life Member PA Trappers

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 PM
The Man

i take mine to the car wash and spray them with the degreaser then rinse them , then i wrap the chains and run them through the dish washer.

if your using them this season and want to use a speed dip, use a water base dip, the fuel base needs to air out for weeks before you can use them.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 AM

Why not clean em up, boil and dye them before Christmas? Then boil and wax on Xmas day before setting them.

I hunt deer in 2F, 5c/d. I hunt waterfowl in whatever unit they happen to be in on that day.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseguy
Why not clean em up, boil and dye them before Christmas? Then boil and wax on Xmas day before setting them.
I think that is what I am going to do. It will be easier than messing with them Christmas Day, because I know within an hour after he opens those we will have to be heading out the back door to go set them.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in