Bait bolt set. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Bait bolt set.

It's a dry land set that has worked well for me. Your basically locking the bait in place so they can't just sneek in and steal it. I run just a small line on my land so time at a set isn't a big deal and I'm not setting hundreds so having enough bait isn't an issue also. So YMMV

Trap leg hold 1.5 or bigger.
Bait. I like to use squirrel or bunnies parted in half. But I do use meat from the line as well.

The set.
Dig a hole for the bait and a channel for the scent to travel back it well with a tree or bush. Place a flat rock right on top of the bait with just the channel exposed on both sides you want some air flow. A bigger rock is better with in reason. I like to use the flat stone that is plentyful here that is about 16" each way and 3" thick. You want them to know the bait is there so don't over do it and bury the bait. You really just want them to have to work to get at it. For the traps. Make a regular dirt flat set. I do it as a double. One at 6" one at 12". I put a bit k9 urine in the top of the rock as a draw.

Variation 1 I use a large log to weight down the bait. It works well to but finding logs in the right size range is difficult... big enough to cover and weight it down well but not so big it can't be moved.

Variation 2
Tie bait to a large stick with fishing line. This works well where few rocks are available. The key and difficult part here is to keep it legal, cover it well from above!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Re: Bait bolt set.

I have caught 3 grinners, 1 coon, and a gray fox all from the same set this year.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Re: Bait bolt set.

sounds good. I'm going to try it. Thanks.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page