resetting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

resetting

Anyone ever pull traps from a location and reset it a couple weeks later???

I had 6 sets out during most of bear camp..caught 3 reds...id like to reset the field in fisher seasons if i am up...

Dont know if i should make new sets or use the ones that are there or a little of both or what....

Any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: resetting

i did in 2010..my best catch year by far..i trapped a section of my line early for 2 weeks then pulled right before deer season then went back to that section right after deer season and only set the old sets that was dug out...and from my records i caught more on that section in those 2 weeks than the first 2 weeks i trapped it....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the info!! I appreciate that! Makes sense..they likely worked the sets while the traps were gone and once reset and re-lured curiosity probably gets.to.them...and they feel "safe" because they worked it before...

I will try it...re-set some and maybe put in a new set or 2 just to throw something new at them...

Found fresh fisher tracks today...so if i can make it i will be here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

just remember most farms will have fresh bone piles from deer season...and the K9's may take a few days to venture out in the open again depending on hunting pressure around your farms areas...

i will also throw in a flat set or pi$$ post along with my original set...i seem to have better luck with those 2 sets later in the year..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanx alot!!

The fox kinda answered my question...

Pulled em Tuesday...3 piles of scat in that pic at that set that werent there before!

A bean stem pile set i had was also worked over hard....and another dirt hole was dug at...

Deer season up here is mostly opening day and not much pressure in terms of hard drives etc...i caught a red here last year during the fisher season with only 2 traps that were barely functional for the couple nites they were set due to weather...

This year id like to hit em hard since i know where to set on em...lots of fresh sign still...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Absolutely Mauser.....we have gone back to locations in January that we had set before rifle season and found tracks and the set all dug up. This is even after rain and snow. Always take advantage of great locations. Best of luck.

If I'm not hunting or fishing with the kids....I'm somewhere on a Judo mat.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Think about it.......You have hole lured, you didn't catch them the first time around. Look at the holes, if your lure is worth the money you spent, the animals will tell you if you should reset. I had sets that where were unproductive on the first time around, blown wide open when I came to set the second time around....... Unfortunately I have had sets that never got hit and believe me I didn't waste the energy resetting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page