Bait and Lure question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Bait and Lure question

I am just starting out in trapping, Whats the best bait and lure to use for fox and coyote? How should i go about using these? Bait in the hole,lure on the outside? Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 PM
The Man

Re: Bait and Lure question

Bait and lure choices are a matter of personal preferences. There is no one best. Put your bait right down the hole. Some trappers put their lure there too, others on the back lip of the hole. Only time and experience will show you which way works best for you.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

any commercial fox lure should work. As Oldmink pointed out put your bait down the hole and lure on the back lip of the hole. I like to add a ball of grass or sheep wool down the hole on top of the bait to make the critter work a little harder to remove the bait. It makes the critter take a few extra steps in the trap bed trying to get the grass or wool out, giving more chances of him hitting the pan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you, is there anything i should stay away from? does anyone ever "cut" there lure to make it go farther or does that take away from the scent?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Part of the Community

I have an opinion.(I know what they say about opinions )I don't believe there is any difference between baits and lures except the way they look.Here's why.You put both either down the dirt hole,under a rock,or in a pocket set.The animal has to smell both to become interested enough to stay around the set or decide to dig for what ever is in the hole.The animal doesn't know what they are digging for except it smells good or interesting.With any animal after they find the bait they are gone if they haven't been caught .The only time I mess with bait is with a dogproof.About the only advantage I can see with bait over lure is that you use a bigger gob of bait so there is more volume there for the odor to come off of.I figure why carry around a quart of bait when an ounce of lure will get you the same results.Would you bait guys tell me what you think about what I said?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page