Is there even a point? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is there even a point?

So far I set 2 traps, caught 1 possum, had a fox poop next to the other set, and it's been nothing since, though looks like somethings been down the holes getting bait. Usually a fox digs a good bit and then poops, no poops here. I put hard boiled egg and bits of chicken down the holes after no action with lures other than the possum ( possum liked fox gland lure...). A hawk killed a hen, so I figured what better bait for a fox that's killed a bunch of stuff earlier.

Today I talked to a landowner at the one farm I always caught lots of foxes at, and she hasn't seen ANY foxes at all. She said she used see them all the time. People hunting there haven't seen any either. Even the deer seem to be in smaller #'s. Only 1 thing comes to mind- coyotes! But they are too smart for me and I don't feel like wasting my time trying to catch 1. There aren't even that many coons around, plus I am bored of trapping coons, as most coons here aren't really big. I like the big fat heavy ones.

Any point really wasting my time trying to catch foxes? I may just go for an invite I have to water trap a creek after deer season. There are usually beavers on it, the guy says they have seen otters, and I know mink are around over there. Hopefully DNR won't be poking around to harrass me. It's not the same creek or property they did it to me before. This guy and I may even try to catch a coyote- he says there's a pack over there ( just like there's a pack at the no-fox location). I'm going to teach him some trapping techniques, including fox, and we will have a little bit of the MD k9 season left. If nothing else, I can pass the trapping bug to someone else, and get more taxidermy work to do LOL. He's already had me tan a bunch of coons, and I'm making a hat with one for him. I bet he will want his first red fox mounted, and even more so if he nails a coyote or maybe even an otter. If he shoots the black coyote that has been seen over there, I guarentee he will get a full mount!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is there even a point?

Go for the coyotes. The fox are still there, just pushed out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Regular Visitor

I agree. I'm no expert trapper, but there's nothing like the reward of catching a coyote. You've usually earned it and improved you skills all around in the process. It's really frustrating checking unsuccessful traps day after day. Get some of the coyotes out and you should see an improvement in the fox numbers...if not this year, then next anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Never give up....stay at it and hammer the yotes. I agree that your fox will either move back in or be there in greater numbers next year. We have similar issues here and after deer season....we'll reset some ground and move the traps back and over.....rear hold on reds and front foot on yotes.

If I'm not hunting or fishing with the kids....I'm somewhere on a Judo mat.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 02:50 PM

thought the same thing, last day I had them set before I left for bear camp there was a fox waiting for me, now wait till after deer season and reset!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 04:21 PM

I am in the same boat kinda....just seems like the fox are gone...2 seasons and no fox...6 yotes...

Set 6 traps at bear camp and caught 3 reds in 5 nites...

With gas high, i will probably trap another week at camp and then a week or 2 at home and that'll be enough for me....

I have a coon dog so i dont trap coon..really no mink or rats to trap...so all i really have is yotes...they are a bugger to trap here...could be a week or longer till they are even back in the area..frustrating...

Love trapping...but i cant afford to go at it hard for a few yotes...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The problem with the yotes is I'd have to walk way back in to where they seem to travel according to people seeing them. Last year they were not coming around where I had fox sets, though a bobcat was hanging around some. I can try setting my old hot spot after the deer season ( mid dec), and see if maybe the deer hunters got the reds moving around. But with gas prices, if I don't catch a fox in a week, I'm not going to feel like trying anymore. It would be a miracle to catch a coyote there, as it's next to the paved road going into the farm, and hiefers are always getting loose there too LOL. They have fired traps off a few times and one time the border collie was there working them and I was so scared the dog was going to get caught. They got a gate open somehow yesterday while I was there, and a bunch got out. In any event, I've been setting #2's with double stakes or cable stakes there every year.

I have intel on a location where a couple reds are, hope they are still there after the guy over there is finished his deer hunting. He is the one who told me he saw them while bow hunting, and that they eat off his meat scraps he puts nearby there. I've had permission to trap there, talked to the landowner a couple weeks ago and bought hay off him too. I can try trapping his other parcel too if I want. My first season trapping both of them I caught 17 reds. Oh the good ol days...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page