Hmm? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hmm?

I want to get into trapping, but the fleshing part kind of scares me to be honest lol. I'm not too sure I can do it. I can do the skinning part, but I'm not sure if I have enough time to flesh and dry the pelts, let alone the area.

What are some alternate things I could do that fur buyers would accept? I live close to fayette fur post, does anyone know if they accept non fleshed pelts?

I would be targeting raccoons to start with, they keep trying to get my chickens... Duke DP's maybe?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 PM

Re: Hmm?

You can find buyers that will buy pelts unfinished. You will not get as much money as a finished stretched pelt.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodelDog827
You can find buyers that will buy pelts unfinished. You will not get as much money as a finished stretched pelt.
is it a significant amount difference? I'm not looking to make mad money, the idea of trapping has always interested me. Just dunno where to start lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 12:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

What to make <span style="font-weight: bold">MAD MONEY</span> that is funny
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 02:59 AM

Call Floyd and Allen at fayette fur post I bet they will take care of you

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If your looking to "make money" in trapping, good luck! After you buy your traps, lures and fur handling equipment (if you go that route) plus gas at $3.50 a gallon while checking traps. I'm not hear to discourage you but when people say they want to start trapping for a second income they may want to get into something else. Trapping anymore is a sport just like hunting and fishing except you can sell your pelts and make a <span style="text-decoration: underline">little money.</span>

Good Luck!

The horizon is your starting point.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy
What to make MAD MONEY that is funny
You ain't kidding.
I still remember the days when I was growing up however and used to get $75 for a fox. Those were all shot in front of my dad's hounds back in the day.

Never Misses
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Regular Visitor

Last year I just didn't have the time to put up my fur. I just rolled everything skin side in, nose to tail and froze until I took them to Johnson's Furs. I can't remember what I got for coyotes and beaver, but I do remember that I got $12 for my unfinished coon that I would've gotten $17 for if they were put up. This may not always be the case, but I hope this gives you an idea.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned

I too have not fleshed and stretched my own furs either, but I figure that with the prices where they are, If I screw one up I won't be out that much so I'll tan it myself and keep it.

The wife isn't really looking forward to tanned hides hanging around the house so I'll do my best. Get a copy of "After the Catch" and I think you'll be able to flesh
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Just put a sharp knife down on the blade and push forward and down at the same time almost like slicing and scraping at the same time, have the head facing you, Its pretty dang easy, there isnt that much on there. just remove any obvious fat meat then salt it for a few days and throw it in a box untill your ready to pickle a bunch at once, if you plan to tan them. I put them on a strecher after i piclkle them , i also finish fleshing at that point, you dont want to flesh too much before salting, as the salt sets the hair roots in the leather.

Coyote-1
Ground hog-o
Crow-1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page