First Coyote/Fox Set - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

First Coyote/Fox Set

I found a old tram road thats blocked off up on a mountain near me and decided it was as good as place as any. its about 100 yards off the dirt road and if i happen to go by in the morning before light i can shine a light down and see if anything is there without getting out of the truck

i double staked my boiled trap and covered with hay using a quarter size portion of the Kishels Triple-Dig-It

Here is a picture of my finished set what do you guys think? this is a first for me and i actually saw a grey fox as i was driving to this place not far from the area

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
The Man

Re: First Coyote/Fox Set

Can't really give you a good critique without seeing the set close up........hole/trap placement, guide objects, etc. The set looks fairly "loud". Lots of eye appeal. Maybe too much for 'yotes. A gray should probably still work it. Looks like a good location.

demokraten saugen
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

It's kind of.set on a little.hump. the log is behind it with a small hole between the hay and the log. Thanks for messaging.this is my first time trapping

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

So..... the log is your backing for your dirt hole, and the hay is just to cover the trap? Why didn't you just sift dirt over the trap and blend it in?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Like I said this is my first time trapping. I tried to follow the hay set post in the sticky. Thought I needed a backing for a hay set even in the woods

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 PM
The Man

Yeah.

I believe I may have blended the set with items more natural to the tram road and kept the hay for a set in a hay field.

But, then again, it may provide an eye appeal that copule work for you. Generally, on a travel corridor as defined as a tram road through the woods, the eye appeal can be more subdued. The critters are going to be passing fairly close by your set anyways and you can rely more on nose appeal.

demokraten saugen
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Ok should I.change it tomorrow or let it.go for a little

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangler2k3
I tried to follow the hay set post in the sticky. Thought I needed a backing for a hay set even in the woods
With a hay set, the hay IS technically your backing. From the info you gave us, it sounds like you put/found a branch on the ground, put in a hole (using the branch as your backing), put down your trap in front of the hole, and then covered your trap with hay. That's not a hay set. Either that or you made an actual hay set and then put a dirt hole right next to it, making a kind of Frankenstein hay set & dirt hole combo.... maybe that could work...

Can you explain more? I'm confused
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Not sure how to answer that one.. the branch was there already.. looking at it from the picture the branch is on the left.. between the hay and the branch is a hole with lure between the hole and center of the hay. My trap is center of hay about 12" from the hole I dug.. I knew I didn't.wrong. had a bad feeling about it

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not saying its wrong... its just different from everyone else.

There are videos on youtube that you can watch. Just search "dirt hole set" or "hay set". Lots of videos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page