too many sets?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

too many sets??

Today i set some fox/yote sets...i caught a red there last year in a couple days with only 2 sets there..the other was investigated by a yote..

Today it was loaded with fox scat...

I put in 6 sets...all within 100 yards or so tops...5 within 30 or 40yds..

I know if a location is good enough for one set its good enough for 2...but kinda felt maybe went over board?? But is that possible?? Only issue i could think of.was too many scents in the area...but i dont know...

Only setting a few days...probably pull em Sunday...just gunna be rough checking before hunting every day...Saturday i figured i would suck it up...

I love the feeling of having steel in the ground!!! Cant wait for tomorrow!

Wished i was thinking a little and would bought some mink bait/lure...all i have is fully modded #2s but could put some pocket sets behind the camp in the creek...i am sure mink and coon use the creek...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: too many sets??

you can NEVER have tomany set's IMO
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 AM

punch a pocket set in,use the smell of fresh dirt for lure.......
any mousetraps at camp?
crayfish in that stream?

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

That was my initial thinking...ive never tried it...they will have a lot to smell and look at thats for sure lol....

I also typically dont have to deal with coons or grinners as i usually dont set till after deer season when winter set in...so that was another reason...if i get some plugged up sets i will still have some working sets...

I have high hopes for the sets....ive never made a catch the first nite...usually 3rd or 4th for some.reason...but still cant wait for morning!

Tried a new set..actually 2 of them...the combine left a few "mounds" of dirt and a bunch of bean stems etc...looked like a small hayset...tons of eye appeal...they stuck out like a sore thumb...lured em and set em...

Odd i couldn't turn up any yote sign...even walked some ATV trails usually littered with yote sign...i rather skin fox! And i dont really have any fox at home.anymore..just yotes...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Hmm never looked for crawfish...but there are native trout so i bet there are...peanut butter and marshmallows will work for coon too....i have them handy....

I think i will be playing in the creek tomorrow...i dont coon trap at home..i run dogs..the coon are for them...but might as well play in the creek while i am here! I never do any "water trapping". Can also probably find some blind set locations if i look...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Re: too many sets?? update!

Well i peeked over the hill this morning to check my sets...sure enough i had a red!! Big male...dirt hole with a couple field rocks for backing..

Funny thing was it was the last set i put in "for.good measure". I have 3 right within feet of eachother...think he hit a flat set first..had lure on sheeps wool between 2 flat stones propped open by pebbles for air circulation..sheeps wool was pulled out..

otta go remake the set...

Pretty fired up to have a good catch on my first check of the year!!

Think he was an old fellow...face looks "gray" and teeth worn badly...

Leather looks blue...but thats about as close to a cherry red as ive seen around here..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 PM

Skin that one Pilgrim and I'll get you another

www.prosqueezings.com / Morgan lures
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Way to go Mauser! I obviously need to set heavier in one area.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

No such thing as too many sets.... I used to carpet bomb and never found it to be detremental to the area. My goal this year was to cut donw the amount of sets on a property and work on spot on locations and stall out areas.... We'll see at the end of the year how the numbers look with the new strategy. I gotta tell you I am forever fighting the urge to pound in addtional sets on a property but after I analyze what I beleive to be their patterns, I regain confidence in my set locations. Now, I am extremely guilty of gang setting (4-6-?) traps in my chosen locations in very close proximity of each other. Pile them up and good luck!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Just checked em...saw 2 sets of eyes and got fired up! Started down the hill and one took off! One was in a trap....the other wasnt! It ran to the woods and sat down....couldnt ID it as a fox in my light..it ran 20yds farther and started barking..sure enough it was a fox...hope it is waiting tomorrow!

Set was a "mauser bean set"..piled up some bean stems and put red urine and gland on it and a trap guarding it...blended trap...it worked! The combine left a few piles like that and they stuck out like a sore thumb so i made my own pile and.lured it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page