Trapping a Pheasant stocked SGL - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Trapping a Pheasant stocked SGL

Hey everyone, somewhat new to trapping my dad has been showing me what to do and what to study as of lately and my cousin has been showing me some of his fox and coyote sets as well.

This picture shows where i plan on running 2 traps just to get started at edges of fields where they meet the woods, just before the decent size lake/swamp that is there.

I'll be making the basic dirt hole set with 1.5 dukes. my main target is fox and raccoon. I hunt there for fox and have been very successful but have not seen or heard a coyote or i would of been better off with a bigger trap.

Apart from doing all the scent control on the traps and wearing the proper scent control clothes and gloves and such, what would you reccomend using as the bait/lure..

im planning on setting them tonight and i have started out with some red fox urine at the edge of the hole, and minced mice down in the bottom of the hole.

Ive seen reds running the field/woodline where i have my trap 1 and trap 2 suggested placements so is there a reason why i wouldnt or shouldnt place them there?

also and most importantly, i have both my traps tagged with my information. i know there are some guys who hunt there for pheasant so ill be marking the brush above my trap with an orange marking tape, as i'd hate to get a dog stuck in one.

Suggestions or comments or ideas for me?
i appreciate it

Chris

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Sage

Re: Trapping a Pheasant stocked SGL

Unfotunately dogs won't know what that orange tape means. If you know people hunt with dogs there why not wait till pheasant season is over before you set the area.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

it's really the only place near my house that i have availability to go for fox on a regular basis. if i wait until christmas ive wasted my money on my furbearer license and my trapping supplies

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM

The upper area by church near swamp might be ok but the other areas are hunted hard with dogs it's a tuff place to trap. Might want to call at night and shoot and try to find another place to trap.

As Charles Barkley says, "I may be wrong, but I doubt it".
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Please do the trapping community a huge favor and don't set traps where the probability of catching a dog is about 100%.....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renny28
Please do the trapping community a huge favor and don't set traps where the probability of catching a dog is about 100%.....
That's what I asked for. Thanks for giving me helpful advice like 25 did

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renny28
Good advice.

I'll add find another place to trap and you will save yourself some grief. Plus, you will know that your doing the right thing and deep down you know that.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-OTT6
The upper area by church near swamp might be ok but the other areas are hunted hard with dogs it's a tuff place to trap. Might want to call at night and shoot and try to find another place to trap.
+1

The critters are there to eat the birds. Hunting fox can be very productive, and a heck of a lot of fun.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

thats where i've been doing. Didnt realize there is as much pressure as it sounds like. I'm not into injuring dogs i have a young lab pup of my own..

just moved to the montgomery area i guess its time to start going door knockin

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 PM

during deer season you might be able to get in there.i trap one sgl up my way and this is what i do.after the first day of deer the human population drops off till saturday,i pull out friday night.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page