Decenting for coon - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Decenting for coon

Ok here is the deal. I had DPs out all last week with no catch and there is coon sign here. I changed bait to a makeral and bacon grease combo with fish oil squirted around the set and still nothing. These are new traps I didn't degrease as I was told it wasn't needed. Should I boil these off and try and reset at a later date. If I leave my fish bacon combo out will it spoil and coon won't eat it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Decenting for coon

i bought six new dp coon daggers this year an didnt boil them an didnt dye them an i have cuaght my biggest coon to date a week ago, and lost one. by lost i mean it almost broke my 3/32 aircraft cable i used to attach it to a tree an it some how got the clip unscrewed and took the trap. i was not happy to say the least the traps were like 13 bucks a piece but i was more angry about losing the coon i such for a couple hundred yard hoping it got tangled up somewhere nothing. i tightened all the clips on my other traps for extra measure this one must of just been lose. i just put a dry cat food in my dps just enough to come to the trigger no sense in filling it up and feeding the coon then i misted the trap with fish oil and sprayed the area around down with some more fish oil, when rain is comin i put cheap coffee cups i got from the office over them to keep the food from gettin soaked. that is when i got my 3 coons in one day i guess its a really good visual attractant. just leave them out only one of my sets was on signs and that was the smallest i cuaght i placed them where i know coon move through often even without sign. mine were out for about 3 days before i got three in one night and havent had any in them snice im waiting until saturday to move them and reset when i start for rat. good luck

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 AM

this is why i use 1/8" cable on mine.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Catching coon in a dp is about as easy as it gets. Put something they will eat below the trigger and set on sign and its a done deal. No need to prep a dp trap
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM

miller that is why I stopped using any clips. I attach my cables right to the j-hook.

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i have j hooks that is where i use the heavy duty clips bigger then the ones on my fox sets and even the little one hold my wieght it must of just been loose i usally have to use pliers to loosen them. i like the clips becuase if i cant get a tree where i want the set or if theres only one tree an i wanna set a double i can clip on my stakes an drive them in

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Part of the Community

I haven't used these traps enough to have much faith in them, unless they are right on a coon trail. They work good for me when that is the case, using a fish paste bait under the trigger or piece of fish speared on the trigger. I went to the trouble to dye and wax them this year, but the first coon shines them right back up anyway.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

That's what has me stumped coons are cake work to catch and I can't seem to hook up on any. It's messing with me
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Regular Visitor

Try using a marshmallow or something else under the trigger, I have been using sheeps wool it holds the lure smell better. I also put a fish oil trail to my trap. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page