Just throwing this out there. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Just throwing this out there.

Lets say a guy has ZERO trapping experience, literally knows nothing. Couldn't even tell you what the different traps are called.

Now if said guy wanted to try trapping, what would he need? Haha. I would like to only try probably 4-6 sets, and want to primarily target coyote and fox. I don't have to work till 930 in the mornings so time is on my side.

What traps would fit this best and where is the best/cheapest place to get them from?

Also how do they attach to the ground? A stake i assume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 AM
New Arrival

Re: Just throwing this out there.

MB traps are great and a big seller for us but they are pricy. Duke Traps are more reasonable but some modifications need to be made. Coyote requires double staking or use of a typ of disposable stake. Mb 450 for fox Mb550 for coyote or Duke # 1/34- # 2 Fox and #3 - #4 if just targeting coyotes. Best to get with someone who will show you the ropes. Not sure when we will get chance to come up to our Cabin in Canton to trap but would be glad to help you out. John
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 12:32 AM

1.75 dukes, pcs outdoors,f and t trading post, and straight from the company duke. You stick a stake in the part where it should go to hold it down. Get some good scents and lures and baits. Im sure someone else will comment to reccommend some baits and lures.Get a dirt sifter and hand shovel. Dont buy them at gander mountain they will make you pay 9 dollars for a 6 dollar trap. You could also secure the trap with a grapple stake. Dye the traps and i Wax them after they are bought.Best to watch some people trap in person and youtube wouldnt hurt. Also read some books and talk to trappers for tips. Remember location location and bed the traps Solid!!! .22 also and bullets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My opinion......duke traps are cheap....use earth anchors if weight is a concern....otherwise rebar stakes are also cheap to make. Get yourself a 3. Pound hammer and a dirt sifter/screen and some type of little shovel ..you can buy lure or make your own to start. I am buy no means a very experienced trapper but just my 2 cents. Maybe trapperspaz or old mink could chime in .....they know what's going on for sure. Keep asking questions and get out there.....nothing like trial and error.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle31490
Lets say a guy has ZERO trapping experience, literally knows nothing. Couldn't even tell you what the different traps are called.

Now if said guy wanted to try trapping, what would he need? Haha.
A mentor.

Eh...wot?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle31490

Now if said guy wanted to try trapping, what would he need? Haha.
A mentor.
I Never had a mentor. Everyone around me is a fox trapper, I wanted to be a coyote trapper. I catch fox when they get in my coyote sets.....but I set almost exclusively for coyote. Learn the animal, how they travel, where they are and they will step on your pan.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 AM

Id pick up a half dozen or dozen used/modified #2s dyed/waxed ready to go and read the "hay set-how to.make" sticky post ontop of the forum....easy set to make..good chance to make some catches and get hooked...then you.can keep learning and experimenting as you go....

That is basically how.i.did it 2 years ago...walking up on my first yote....i was hooked...ive since learned to trap in the dirt with more traditional sets..and have caught with cable restraints..
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

Do some serious reading on "trapping" and ask some of these guys. Most likely somebody on here lives close to you and would let you tag along with them.

You will need some good traps. MB 450's or 550's seem to be what alot of guys use. I have some Duke & Victor traps and I just ordered a dozen MB 550's.

Remember, to catch fox and coyotes, your traps and equipment must be clean and scent free.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Great info so far and much appreciated guys!

As far as a mentor goes, I've never been lucky enough haha. I am a very good archer, and am self taught with trial and error and forums like this. Lots of reading and experimenting! I started shooting a bow6 years ago, and now I have won my hunter league at the bow shop out of 40 shooters, and not to mention i don't have a buck tag coming into rifle season haha. I've also done the same thing with nighttime predator hunting. So i kinda have a hand up on some beginners, I know scent control very well and know how predators act.

Still reading and learning! Thanks for all advice, it gives me something to research when i don't understand a term
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Oh and i got a little first hand experience with hay sets 2 weeks ago haha. We were hunting stocked pheasant fields and i saw a little pile of hay here and there. Thought it was weird but we just kept hunting the edges. Well the set worked cause my friends Brittany just HAD to go over and check it out. Well he got bit and yelped, but got right out of it. So i went over to see what happened and i stepped right in the other set. Later in the day we talked to 2 other sets of guys with dogs and both of their dogs got wrapped up in them too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page