How many just process the hides then sell them? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

How many just process the hides then sell them?

How many take the effort to process the hides then sell them. It seems to me that the prices for fur like other unprocessed comodities is very low and the prices recieved make it difficult to impossible to make a decent buck except for the middle man and up. Kinda the same issue as farming, Selling blue stone, or timber.

P.S. I'm not knocking the local fur buyers. They have expences as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: How many just process the hides then sell them?

Well-handled fur will always pay off.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

What I mean is tanning them and selling them on Ebay, Etsy, or even craigs list.

It really isn't that hard to tan hides and if you learn the steps and stop using kits it's pretty cheap too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:30 PM
The Man

In my experience tanned furs don't sell well.
Maybe somebody else has different experiences.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They sell ok on ebay, but only the best ones will get you a price you like. XXXL raccoons #1 prime, XL and bigger red and grey foxes, big really nice coyotes, foxes and coyotes with the feet and claws, and any of these properly prepped for taxidermy. Good pics and descriptions are also helpful. You can do well if you have blond and black coyotes green skinned with feet still in, taxidermy grade.

Now one warning about ebay- the market comes and goes weekly, so one week people may be going nuts over your foxes, and the next not at all.

A good way to sell furs on ebay is to get alot of each species tanned. Moyles has a quantity discount that is very good once you hit 21 of the same animal. You can then sell the pelts for the same rough price and make an ok profit. Sell 1 or 2 of each species a week.

I sell mountable pelts as well as some non mountable tanned foxes. Sometimes you only get your starting price, other times you get surprised. Last year I had a pretty smaller female red, all prepped for a full mount and salt dried, and the bidding went to 107.00 or something. The fox had some white toes. I had very nice pics too.

Keep in mind your raw fur- attach fur shipping tags. You should have a disclaimer in your listing as well- "legal for me to sell on my end, you are responsible for knowing the laws on your end- USA shipping only".
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapperwoman
They sell ok on ebay, but only the best ones will get you a price you like. XXXL raccoons #1 prime, XL and bigger red and grey foxes, big really nice coyotes, foxes and coyotes with the feet and claws, and any of these properly prepped for taxidermy. Good pics and descriptions are also helpful. You can do well if you have blond and black coyotes green skinned with feet still in, taxidermy grade.

Now one warning about ebay- the market comes and goes weekly, so one week people may be going nuts over your foxes, and the next not at all.

A good way to sell furs on ebay is to get alot of each species tanned. Moyles has a quantity discount that is very good once you hit 21 of the same animal. You can then sell the pelts for the same rough price and make an ok profit. Sell 1 or 2 of each species a week.

I sell mountable pelts as well as some non mountable tanned foxes. Sometimes you only get your starting price, other times you get surprised. Last year I had a pretty smaller female red, all prepped for a full mount and salt dried, and the bidding went to 107.00 or something. The fox had some white toes. I had very nice pics too.

Keep in mind your raw fur- attach fur shipping tags. You should have a disclaimer in your listing as well- "legal for me to sell on my end, you are responsible for knowing the laws on your end- USA shipping only".

So you sell raw or green hides or send then out? That has to be expensive no?

I perfer to tan them myself. I have been tanning farm hides and deer for a few years. I see prices that are about double what a fur buyer would give with a few hours labor for a couple dozen pelts it should be quite profitabe. At least that is what I've been thinking. As of yet I havn't gotten enough to worry. I want a conforter for each bed in the house. So they will take a bit of time as I only trap on my farm.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Part of the Community

Make sure of your market before you spend a lot of time and effort on tanning. More then once I've had people tell me they want a tanned coyote-then you call them and tell them it's ready and the check never arrives.
It really depends on what you're tanning. Kit beaver tanned and sold for $35 (for example) isn't bad when the same beaver would be about $3 at the furbuyer. I haven't had a lot of luck selling tanned coon. Pretty hard to compete with commercial tannerys on the common items.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsonpan
Make sure of your market before you spend a lot of time and effort on tanning. More then once I've had people tell me they want a tanned coyote-then you call them and tell them it's ready and the check never arrives.
It really depends on what you're tanning. Kit beaver tanned and sold for $35 (for example) isn't bad when the same beaver would be about $3 at the furbuyer. I haven't had a lot of luck selling tanned coon. Pretty hard to compete with commercial tannerys on the common items.

Sage advice indeed.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've sold a couple of tanned hides on ebay, a couple of raccoon and a grey fox, and I got a decent price for them. After all of the work I may just as well skin, flesh and dry and sell them raw. The extra work really didn't did not make that big of a difference for me.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've tanned red foxes myself, and softened them nicely, then sold on ebay, but to do a good job and do it correctly by hand is alot of work. They must be fully fleshed and even degreased during the process, and extra time is needed if doing them with the feet. I have been unable to get a good soft result with coon hides unless it's a kit coon, and beavers- forget it. They require a big fur drum or you better get a bunch of hyperactive kids to play with the drying pelts till they dry. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page