Reds or Greys - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Reds or Greys

What do you guys think are easier to catch? Reds or greys? I am heading to camp this weekend and I am putting some sets out. I plan on using dirt holes and flat sets. I personally use all hawbakers lures. I have made all my sets in fields in the past. I was recently informed that putting sets in the woods is very productive for greys. What kind of locations should I look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: Reds or Greys

If you are looking to catch greys find thick brush and put your sets where the fields and woods meet. If you can find trails that the greys are using you can setup on them but the only problem with trapping in the woods is the leaves they can blow onto your set and only have a hole for eye appeal. I use fake fur and sort of make a v out of sticks on the sides of the dirt pattern to try and keep some of the leaves off the dirt pattern. Hope this helps
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Banned

I like to use a chin rub set for greys. Smear some grey fox gland lure ( I use Dobbins' "Old Grey Buzzard")on a protruding stick or small log about 10-12 inches off the ground and bed the trap wear they will be prancing around when rubbing their chin on the stick. Very effective. Like Kasper mentioned before, dirt holes in the woods will cover up quickley. With the chin rub set,the leaves will help hide the trap, but they will still see the stick and smell the lure.

PA Waterfowler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Waterfowler
I like to use a chin rub set for greys. Smear some grey fox gland lure ( I use Dobbins' "Old Grey Buzzard")on a protruding stick or small log about 10-12 inches off the ground and bed the trap wear they will be prancing around when rubbing their chin on the stick. Very effective. Like Kasper mentioned before, dirt holes in the woods will cover up quickley. With the chin rub set,the leaves will help hide the trap, but they will still see the stick and smell the lure.

PA Wterfowler
are you saying they won't smell the lure in a hole if leaves blow over it ? wow, never heard that
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Useing any thing that resembles fur,feather,bone etc. is illegal
New law this year

dietsch it is like putting a grass wad in the hole,fox can't smell...LOL
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

Would that be a grasshole set. Hahahahanahahahahaha
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Banned

No, that's not what i'm saying at all. With the dirt hole, they get to smell the lure, and see the fresh dirt. With leaves over it, they won't get the visual appeal of the fresh dirt. If the leaves cover up the hole, then they are down to just strictly smell. Even though smell alone will work,I like to have a visual when ever possible. A scent with a visual is better than just a scent alone.

PA Waterfowler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page