?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

??

Was goin to start trapping this week now that my deer tags are filled but I'm not workin close to home so I would have to get up an extra couple hours before work to check my traps. So I never have before but was thinking of just checking the traps when I get home around 3ish in the afternoon instead of checkin them at 4am before work. I'm just worried about anythin that I get workin itself out of my sets or chewing its leg off. From the way it looks I'm goin to have time off soon to trap but for this week I'm workin. I was only planning on setting maybe a dozen fox an coon set.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: ??

I do alot of travel for work and have to deal with the same thing. I would always check traps at 3:30 to 4 am then get home take a shower and head out the door for work. Then wonder all day at work if something was caught after I checked because it doesn't get light until 7. I got up late one day a couple of years ago and waited until I got home and checked after 4 and had a large coon foot in a trap, that bothered me. Canines don't seem to mind the wait but what if somebody comes by while hunting. I had a deer hunter "help me out" one time by shooting a red fox for me with a large caliber rifle.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

I am in the same boat as you. As for the foot, a coon could do that after being in a trap for an hour. Set when you can, check when you can. That's what I say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

I too check traps in the morning and have considered going to the afternoon check as I have to be to work at 5.

This coyote was caught after my initial check in the morning. We had a lot of crappy weather and I was just going out to freshen the set up at around 2 pm. I was shocked to say the least when I walked up with my little lure bottle only to have this guy there. The catch circle was there but not too bad. I am assuming an after 10 or so catch.

Who is to say the catch you have wasn't caught but an hour after your morning check the day before......... only to assume it was caught an hour before your check.

If I checked in the afternoon, I wouldn't be rushed to get back to work. I have daylight to check my traps, hence a lot faster. I can do all my remakes as I go, I usually went back out in the afternoon to do remakes which would save gas.

May be my new game plan....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 PM
The Man

Years back when I both worked and trapped fox, I mostly used water or springhole sets as some called them. I would check my traps early before work, harvest the catch and hang the traps on a nearby tree branch till I could properly remake the set on Saturday.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Regular Visitor

I always check in the afternoon (after work). I have jumped yotes on early morning checks and wait until late afternoon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page