Where our traps are made! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Where our traps are made!

I think alot of folks wonder where the traps we use are made. I am not saying any are better than others, just trying to let folks know where the traps they are using are made.

I try to support those that produce traps in the USA. I know price is important to each of us, but QUALITY and made in the USA is very important as well.

Here we go...

1. Oneida Victor - USA (Ohio)
2. Newhouse - USA (Ohio)
3. Bridger - Taiwan
4. Sleepy Creek - USA (West Virginia)
5. Duke - Korea
6. Minnesota Brand / MB - USA (Minnesota)
7. Montana - China
8. KB Traps - USA I think?

Again, before anyone flames me here, I just think it's very important, especially in these time with our rotten economy to buy American if we can afford it. And yes I did buy some Duke Traps before I knew where they were made. I may have missed some makers so add them if you'd like

Catches/goals
Coyotes-0/1
Greys-0/3
Reds-0/3
Cats-0/1
coon-0/10
beaver-0/1
possum-0/3
skunk-0/3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 PM

Re: Where our traps are made!

Your post should be edited to say *List typed on a Chinese computer while sitting in a Pakistan chair, wearing Vietnamese clothes*.

Bill Duke has done more for the American trapper than any other trap company. Bridger Trap is owned by the Caven family, owners of Minnesota Trapline Products and makers of Minnesota Brand traps. Buy what you want; both of these companies produce high-quality, cost-efficient traps. I'm a huge Bridger fan, and if I ever standardized my water traps, I would buy all Duke 1 1/2 coils. If we were allowed to use real beaver traps here in PA, it would be a tossup as to whether I would go to MB-750s or Bridger #5 coilsprings. In my opinion, Oneida Victors are about the bottom-of-the-barrel traps. Don't forget, ALL our fur goes out of the country, mainly to China and Russia. Even the auction houses are in Canada. I buy a trap once; I sell fur every year.

To each their own, though.

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Regular Visitor

Not to take anything away from Bill Duke but duke traps over victor? Cost to cost basis yes but quality i have to disagree even though victors quality isn't what it used to be i for one would take a victor any day over a duke, just my opinion. I do like the duke dp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jamison
Your post should be edited to say *List typed on a Chinese computer while sitting in a Pakistan chair, wearing Vietnamese clothes*.

Bill Duke has done more for the American trapper than any other trap company. Bridger Trap is owned by the Caven family, owners of Minnesota Trapline Products and makers of Minnesota Brand traps. Buy what you want; both of these companies produce high-quality, cost-efficient traps. I'm a huge Bridger fan, and if I ever standardized my water traps, I would buy all Duke 1 1/2 coils. If we were allowed to use real beaver traps here in PA, it would be a tossup as to whether I would go to MB-750s or Bridger #5 coilsprings. In my opinion, Oneida Victors are about the bottom-of-the-barrel traps. Don't forget, ALL our fur goes out of the country, mainly to China and Russia. Even the auction houses are in Canada. I buy a trap once; I sell fur every year.

To each their own, though.
This is just the stupid type of thinking that has cost our economy to flop! Listen, I'm not trying to start and argument with you or anyone, but it's kind of obvious that you most likely have more things made in "china or viet nam" than most do.

Yes, I have things made outside of the USA, but I always try to make INFORMED decisions when making a purchase. Apparently you don't!

All these folks you have mentioned are having these items manufactured in these third world countries because what really matters to them is PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT and not for the longevity of the sport.

My point is what you missed... If an AMERICAN product is available, buy it rather that something made elsewhere.

And if you want to use Duke over Victor, Go ahead but when another American compnay flops, I';ll say thanks to you!

Catches/goals
Coyotes-0/1
Greys-0/3
Reds-0/3
Cats-0/1
coon-0/10
beaver-0/1
possum-0/3
skunk-0/3
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Take that Bob! LOL!
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renny28
Take that Bob! LOL!
LOL!

Yeah Bob!

LOL!

I'm not saying a word, I'm to tired to give a basic economics lesson via the keyboard. My trapline is tiring me nicely. Good luck guys and use what you'd like is what I'd have to say.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Add BMI- Ohio

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 PM
The Man

It is very likely I will never buy traps again.
However if I did, given I am retired and on fixed income, American trap manufacturers had best get their little brains cooking and find a way to sell me their products at import prices.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its very likely that I will eventually sell all my gear and take up golf....
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMink
American trap manufacturers had best get their little brains cooking and find a way to sell me their products at import prices.
I think it's against the law to use child or slave labor in the U.S. That's the only way they could make them just as cheap.

The horizon is your starting point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page