Ticks and dogs. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Ticks and dogs.

Lost my best friend/dog Cocoa today. She was a kind soul who treed a pile of coon in her day. I will miss her badly. Dogs can be infected by ticks with at least 2 different types of diseases. She quit eating almost 2 weeks ago and would not eat even burger.

Please be aware of this and take steps to avoid having your best friend affected by these little demons.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 07:20 PM

Re: Ticks and dogs.

Sorry to hear about your dog. My father has a hound right now with Lyme disease. Ran through the cycle of required antibiotics and is still doing very poorly.
I know of numerous hounds and one person who has come down with Lyme in the last year.

Never Misses
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The vets carry shots to prevent lyme disease now, my dog got one last spring and again this summer. I wonder if they make one for people?

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 PM
The Man

My pointer was retired at 5 in his prime because of ticks. I take him out an hour, we spend 4 picking ticks.
Plus He's also one of the wife's baby's so if I bring him home sick I'm a dead man.

Plus I have a son that has lymes, and if another gets it, again I'm a dead man.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Part of the Community

I have an Irish Setter and have the same issue with her getting covered with ticks. I had her vaccinated against Lymes and use the drops but they still get fast and very difficut to get out without removing a chunk of hair.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 PM
The Man

sorry for your loss.

I hate ticks, no useful purpose for them.

Its expensive but i use Vectra 3d in the fall from Oct to Dec. It keeps them off my girl. Prior to that I'd be picking ticks for hrs, even with frontline. I'm talking like 30+!

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 PM

I pulled about 15 off my dog today after our hunt and on top of that had to take my other britt to the vet this morning. She has a fever of 105 was going lame and couldnt even stand to use the bathroom.. The vet said he will be keeping her a few days and running IVs and doing bloodwork. She has her lymes vaccine and I always have flea and tick meds on her so hopefully its not lymes but who knows. Hoping the best for her!!! [censored] she went down right before season...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Part of the Community

I know its not the perfect solution but tractor supply carrys a citronella spray that works very well. I spray my beagles when I take them out of the truck and see very few if any ticks at the end of a days hunt. I spray my outer clothes down with it to. Its seems to keep them off of me to. The stuff is in a white bottle with blue and red lettering and cost around 10 to 12$.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Part of the Community

I am treating my lab for lymes right now. He had the shot but the vet said it doesn't always work. It is like the flu shot for us, it might work, it might not. My lab isn't a hunting dog either, just a short trip off the deck to do his business and he picks up ticks. We slacked on the flea/tick meds because he had the shot, and we never get fleas for some reason. Won't make that mistake again.

Christopher Neff
Westover, PA
Clearfield County
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My lab was completely over the symptoms of Lyme's in one day after starting antibiotics.
Both of them now get the yearly vaccination, but I also saturate them with the same homemade permethrin spray that I apply to my clothing. It kills ticks, fleas, and lice on contact and I haven't pulled a single embedded tick off my dogs in the past 3 years since using the spray.
Between permethrin and Ivomec I save a fortune on dog meds every year and they are just as protected as they would be on the high priced stuff from the vet.

They did have a vaccine available for humans back in the 80's but discontinue production because they cited lack of demand for it. You certainly think they would bring it back and make a fortune now.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page