Trapping Videos, Interested in making one? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Trapping Videos, Interested in making one?

I'm sitting on the couch watching the Eastern Bobcat trapping DVD, and I have to work hard and pay attention to get any useful information about this topic, and I paid $30 for it! I could make a more interesting DVD and I am a total beginner with a camera and computer.

This got me thinking... I could make a better DVD but I lack the knowledge of trapping. I made a video of trapping last year but I was a new videoing as I still was new to trapping. So, if anyone out there thinks they lack enough knowledge on a trapping topic, and would be interested in doing a DVD, I'd like to hear from them. My thought was I could follow you on your trap line for make a week or two and then from what I filmed, I'll produce a video.

The CATCH! I'm a nursing student (yea, I'm a guy), and the only solid block of time that I have for a morning trap line would be the weeks before and after christmas or around that time. I took off week for the bobcat trapping opener, thus the reason I put in this DVD which lead me to this idea, so that week wont work. I do have most weekends off though and will be switching to evening clinicals in a few weeks, so this could happen sooner.

I don't know what we will ultimately decide to do if we get a full DVD made, but that decision will be made later.

I live in Lancaster, but will be willing to drive a bit to meet someone each morning.

So... how good of a trapper are you?!?!

O and for a reference- here is a video I made for the HPA video contest, and keep in mind I filmed myself the entire time, and I could do much better not having to be in front of the camera. Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2SIlUb__...mp;feature=plcp

There are enough animals in the woods and birds in the air for all of us...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Re: Trapping Videos, Interested in making one?

Here is a DVD cover prototype I made.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 05:44 PM
The Man

I'm hoping you're NOT bashing the forum sponsor's bobcat trapping dvd...because that's kind of a slap in the face to him.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 07:20 PM
The Man

I found most videos are worthless when trying to get info. I watched a few people gave me to see if i could pick up any tips, a beginner would get nothing from them.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 PM
The Man

didnt sound like bashing to me. i'm not even sure what dvd he is talking about as i dont/havent bought any but i didn't see any bashing in the post. honest feedback from a self-proclaimed total beginner.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I am a GIGANTIC adam probst fan, It was like meeting an Idol when I found him at the outdoors show. I wasn't bashing him, I've watched all his dvd's 5-6 times and learned MOST of what I know from him.

That being said, I'm talkin about trapping videos in general, most have great content, but they could be produced in a more entertaining way.

Adam, I wasn't trying to bash anyone, and please PM me next time with any problems you have about what I say before posting them on here for everyone. I'd be happy to discuss any of my threads with you and remove any offensive material I may have inadvertently posted. Thank You.

:-)

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

But really, no one would be interested in this idea?

What if I mentioned that (assuming we got enough footage and info for a 90 min dvd) to have a DVD made with a full cover normal looking cover, and have it shrink wrapped that it would cost about $3 a dvd... sold for $10 to venders, is a $7 per DVD profit... HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... interested now?!?!?

At the very least this at least seems like a TON of fun!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 03:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

You can follow me around. But the dvd's would have to sell for $30. You get 10% of the profits. I get the rest.
And you've gotta leave your bow at home....lol
Deal?

It is time to manage avian predators!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is a guy on another forum from Wisconsin that was involved in the making of Logging Roads, Lanes and Laminations coyote video. He talked about the video making process and it's quite a bit more involved then what you're led to believe.
To make a decent video, you'll need expensive video equipment plus the production costs, editing, marketing, etc...
My point is, if you have money to burn and don't mind taking a big loss on making a video and selling it for $10.00, go for it! I'm not trying to discourage you but the cheapest way to go is through youtube and if you get enough "likes" through that media, then maybe you can consider making your own video.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

trapperrick, I appreciate what your saying, I truly do, and you just making sure I'm not wasting my time, someone elses time, and money, BUT... I've looked into this for about 2 years now and I already have an LLC created, bank account (with little money lol), tax information, blah blah blah, for making sure that everything is legit.

As for expensive camera gear, thats why I'm the poor college student that I am! Rough estimate is about $3500 worth of video and audio gear and about $1000 in software, so I'm not a professional but for this type of work I think I could hold my own.

If you have ever watched "Solo Hunters" on the outdoors channel, its a great show and I love the idea behind it because I am a solo hunter myself (someone who hunts and films themselves), I have better gear than they do... and their show is on the outdoor channel! Now its not all about the gear but this is all for a comparison.

I am NOT a professional and I did NOT nor AM I going to school for this, BUT I know a decent amount and I have put in a lot of time learning camera work, audio work, sony vegas pro, photoshop, and illustrator. Plus I'm a very outgoing and personable individual and believe that I could get the DVD out into our hunting and trapping community.

Did I change your opinion at all? I'm curious because if there is something I may be missing, I want to address it now before it becomes a hurdle to overcome after I've put in a lot of time and effort!

Thanks for the responses guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page