Question about speeding up rusting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Question about speeding up rusting

I bought a dozen of the new bridger 1.75s this weekend and boilednoff the oil and grease yesterday. If you spray them eith vinegar to speed up the rusting how long does it usually take them to rust? Do you have to boil them again to remove the vinegar? Arebthere any ways to speed up rusting them? I have enough already done to start trapping but I'm doing some for a friend with my new ones. Thanks in advance for any replies.

QDMA LIFE MEMBER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about speeding up rusting

just rinse and wax why rust when they will be burried anyways and the animals dont have X-RAY vision to see under the dirt....

do you let your guns set out and rust before you use them??????????
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Just the type of answer i was looking for. Well as a matter of fact i will be trapping bobcats later in the year with them and this is just my opinion, i dont want a silver trap laying there on the ground in a walk through or cubby opening. It might not matter but i like mine black or at least brown. Currently the traps im using were done just like that. Boiled and buried. No wax the first year. To each their own but I just asked a simple question.

QDMA LIFE MEMBER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 03:29 PM

Easiest way to get them a quick rust? Send the wife out shopping with your credit card; then put them in the dishwasher. Run one cycle with detergent, then immediately run another cycle without any detergent. Use the 'heated dry' option if the dishwasher has one. Dye that afternoon. Make sure the chains are up away from the spray arms though. Actually, you don't have to send the wife away, but they tend to get all hinky about you using their dishwasher.

By the way, know why brides wear white? Because it's good for the dishwasher to match the stove and refrigerator.

Now you know why I'm single.

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM

I agree with Bob. That's how I get new traps ready, and yes the wife gets funny when I put them in the dish washer. They didn't catch any critters yet so I don't know what the big deal is.

Never Argue With An Idiot
They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Regular Visitor

Send a message via AIM to tomnelson3

I got a dozen bridger 1.65 4 coil a few months ago. After spraying them with degreaser and pressure washing I sprayed each one with white vinegar in a bucket then dumped the rest of the bottle on them to soak overnight. The next day I sprayed them with a mixture of 16 oz. hydrogen peroxide, 2 oz. white vinegar, and 1/2 tbsp. salt. They rusted almost immediately.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering if after the vinegar they needed boiled again? Guess i might have to wait and see if they smell after they rust. My luck i will have dug traps all over the place! Currently I'm in my blind archery hunting and just saw a red nice red come walking right out in my food plot! The nerve!

QDMA LIFE MEMBER
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 PM

I never rust new traps. I use them the first season. All I do is get the oil off of them, make any mods I want to make and boil/dye and wax. I don't rust them until the second season. After the first season I take them to the car wash and clean them good and let them hang outside until they get the preferred amout of rust and then put them in the shed until I'm ready to dye and wax for thier second season. Rusting trap is not needed to catch critters. Only to hold the dye.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 PM

Cats don't mind the color of your trap. If anything take two pieces of shingles and make them into a envelope big enough to slip over the pan. A cat will step on it every time. It looks like a solid silent place to step and they can't resist.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by long beard
I never rust new traps. I use them the first season. All I do is get the oil off of them, make any mods I want to make and boil/dye and wax. I don't rust them until the second season. After the first season I take them to the car wash and clean them good and let them hang outside until they get the preferred amout of rust and then put them in the shed until I'm ready to dye and wax for thier second season. Rusting trap is not needed to catch critters. Only to hold the dye.
but with a coat of rust you can be reassured there is no oil on the trap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page