Fox Drags - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Fox Drags

what is your set up for fox drags?
How long?
What type of chain?
Do you use the 2 prong grables sold in trapper supply stores/catelogs labled as "Fox" or do you think this size is too small for fox?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: Fox Drags

The 2 prong graples are alright for fox but if there any chance of a yote, use the heavier coyote drags,#3 machine link chain about 5 feet long with plenty of crunch proof swivels
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 PM
The Man

#2 machine link chain, 8 feet, several crunch proof swivels.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use 6' machine chain with quick links on both ends. I use the larger drags or a wheel rotor or a long piece of wood. The quick links hook up easy to any of them. I like the wheel rotors because they leave a drag mark pretty much anywhere even on crusty snow and ice. You can set them out inconspicuously ahead of time, I'm on private property so I leave them out forever.

If you're new to trapping or just drags I suggest you test it a bit slowly till you learn them unless you really have a lot of time to spare. I've had some trying times with prong drags. In woods I've had coon take them up nice timber trees. You shoot the coon and it stays up in the tree held by the drag, then you need to find a way to get 20' up a straight trunk to the first branch.

I've had animals that I just couldn't find for a very long time. In like multiflora rose the animals don't fight so there is no physical disturbance, the animal feels concealed and it just flattens to the ground, a prong drag sometimes doesn't leave a drag mark to even establish a direction. I've looked for a really long time near and far in old pastures with weeds and brush only to find it relatively close but nearly invisible. I'll say to myself I must have walked by that thing 20 times without seeing it. That's why I like the rotors, they leave a drag so you can at least set a direction of travel and they can't climb with it.

Living in the north and only trapping late I know I'm going to have snow. If you get a late night or early morning snow unless you planned ahead you'll have no idea if your trap is under the snow or not. I put the drag off to the side and push a "conspicuous to me" stick or weed into the eye of the drag or through the center of the rotor so from a distance I can tell whether the trap was taken or not. In the early 80's when fox were $75 and coon 50 it was foolish to stake a trap in a field, people travelled at night with spotlights looking for the eyes of a trapped animal. So you used drags, but when it snowed you looked across the winter wheat field knowing you had 4 traps out there and now you don't know if any of them caught anything at all. You have to go out and kick out the snow to find out.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
The Man

I use 6' of chain and homemade or JC Conner drags for Fox, Coon and Coyote.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Drag systems work with longer chain lenght and heavier drag.</span>
(L.to R.) JC Conner standar drag, JC Conner swivle drag, homemade drag
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Regular Visitor

Anybody ever use the drags that clint lockear makes looking for some kind of drag i can where you cant stake and will hook up quik
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Part of the Community

JC's drags are top notch and easy to follow....I now use 10 feet of chain after a few long searches. Longer chain will find an anchor more quickly for me. If you are trapping along a dirt roadway or logging road and a coyote or fox runs the road a ways a JC Conner drag will leave plenty of telltale marks to follow.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Hern: How heavy are your drags and chains? How far can foxes move your drags?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 AM
The Man

rf11 asks-
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #660000">Hern: How heavy are your drags and chains? How far can foxes move your drags? </span></span>
1) about 2-3 pound drags
2) within sight (for the most part) being set near heavy cover such as saplings, brush, or laruel.

For folks that had problems with drags in the past, we were using the lightweight, 2 prone 'Fox Drag' with a shorter chain.
Progressing to a heavier drag and longer chain has sloved alot of problems for me.

Most folks think the drag is hungup to hold critter, but I find the oppisite...
Most of my catches (Fox, Coyote or Coon) the drag is laying on the ground and the longer chain is wrapped around to stop the critter.

I even had Fox and Coon have chain wrapped around cut corn stalks-
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM
The Man

Hey Renny, how 'bout a BobCat pic on a drag?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page