Otter in Maryland - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Otter in Maryland

I was excited to see a season was opened for otter in Garrett and Allegany Counties in Maryland. I'm only 50 miles from the border of those 2 counties but then I read the MD DNR regs......Open to residents only.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland...easons-limits/

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Otter in Maryland

Yeah, I've been asking DNR people to get it changed, but I get empty promises. The excuse I got last time was that they have to intro a bill to change the regs, and that doing so will attract animal activists who will launch some emotional plea against the bill since otters are so cute looking. MFT obviously doesn't care either, if they did it would have been changed years ago from their pressure. I don't see this issue as anything "worst" than allowing bow hunting of deer in the Loch Raven park. That contraversial issue got hashed out and you can now get a bow hunt permit for the park, despite the knashing and screaming of the anti hunters that went on.

I do not have a high opinion of MFT. I got called names for suggesting they set up an educational booth at the Towsontown Spring Festival. My suggestion was based on the fact that I had vended there 3 years, selling furs and things made of various animal parts, and had only a few wacky animal activists to deal with, and most people who stopped by either bought said items or thought it was great to see someone being so bold + they thought animal activists were idiots. I suggested the same thing for another high emotion MD issue- gun carry rights- but Maryland Shall-Issue ( MSI) thought it was a good idea, and they actually educated people and had nearly all good responses. I have thanked MSI more than once for being open minded and respecting my suggestion. MFT still owes me 100.00 for their cold feet, then having people say nasty things about me. Just one reason I love all you PA trappers. Some of you may not like me, but enough of you respect me and some of you thank me for my hay set tutorial and the foxes you otherwise would not have caught due to being newbs to trapping. Having been bullied and rejected most of my life ( my aspergers syndrome which makes me "different"), that little bit really helps me feel good.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wow, that's great that you really show lots of passion and support for the sport you love. That's kind of sad that an actual trapping organization would not support you in your efforts to educate the masses but unfortunately that is the thinking of some people, don't stur the pot and they will leave us alone. That's not the best route to take when trying to keep something going like trapping.

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I believe I have lost potential taxidermy customers over this MFT thing. I wish the people who hear "things" would just ask me about it and not take it at full value when they hear it. I'd explain my side and rebuff any lies. I'm sure I am called things like "goofball", "crazy", "stupid", and I am sure there are false stories, some probably so rediculous one would wonder who would believe them, but sadly some folks do. I'll admit to be goofy and crazy (high functioning autism- it's part of the package- but I am a good soul like most who are an adult ASD), but I'm NOT stupid! And I really don't care anymore- let stupids be stupids. At least you PA guys respect me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

Hey foxtrapper did trapperspaz get that chocolate fox mounted yet I would live to see pics or it
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I only tanned it for him, his wife said no to the mount, but they can change their mind for a little while yet. It would be a beautiful mount- the fox had yellow eyes too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page