prime coon - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

prime coon

when do y'all see the majority of the coon being primed up?? been a while since ive done any serious coon skinning and cant remember what we used to find..

also, say i do run into blue hides...how badly are they usually docked when sold??

anyone know what the outlook is price wise?? i know the market likely got flooded last year with the mild winter and huge coon take...so im guessing not good..but like anything else..never know till its that time really...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 PM

Re: prime coon

I always wait till mid Nov. at the earliest. Usually the weekend bow season ends. I typically wait till rifle season just to be safe.

As far as how much it affects price I would say if coons average $12 you would be looking at MAYBE $4 for a blue one. It's worth the wait! Why skin $4 coon when in 2 weeks you can skin $12+ coon.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

thanx long beard! for some reason Thanksgiving/rifle season stuck out in my head...

dont plan on trapping any...but, got a young coon dog and this will be his first kill season...hopefully they are worth ~8-10$ a piece put up and will be worth my time putting them up and help for my gas to travel hunting...when i have a youngun and wanna shoot him down some coon i travel a ways away from home so my home coon are "protected" for the rest of the year i have GOOD hunting right near the farm...

but with 4$ gallon gas, traveling will add up quick..not looking to make money..just wanna help with gas costs..

been a long time since ive "hide hunted" and if they are above 10$ or so put up there could be money to be made and i will hit em harder..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM

I was told by 2 buyers last weekend to leave the coon in the woods;don't trap them.Prices will be bad.No way a $12 coon is worth $4 blue though.I call -- on that one.He is right about waiting though and esp. this season with low demand
I was told to hit the reds,mink and muskrat.What the hecks a muskrat,lol.They said reds should start out at $30,mink $20 for average stuff.Going to hit all the fox places I know of this year.Was told to leave the yotes alone too but I love killing them.I'd do that for free

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

When are reds prime????

My area i have reds till after deer season...then i swear not a track in the snow...if we have snow in rifle red tracks everywhere...then next week i start trapping and none to be found....id like to hit em before rifle if its worth it and they are prime...???

I was told the same last year on reds...30-40$ or maybe more....

Was afraid coon would be on the crapper this year....i will still put up what i shoot down...but wont hammer them...

Id like to trap between bow and bear season though....if reds are worth a dang by then??
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

X2 on the bad coon prices I was told with the great upper Midwest catch last year that flooded the market there is a bunch of coon that buyers didn't auction last year and its gonna flood it this year
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden41
I was told by 2 buyers last weekend to leave the coon in the woods;don't trap them.Prices will be bad.No way a $12 coon is worth $4 blue though.I call -- on that one.He is right about waiting though and esp. this season with low demand
Don't be so quick to call -- on that one. Depends who the buyer or buyers are.. With a surplus of leftover furs from last season, many buyers aren't even gonna be buying blue coons. (And by buyers here I mean garment makers and other buyers of finished goods. Not the "middle man" country buyer, who doesn't want to put up a blue coon in the first place, and will definitely pay accordingly in this "touchy" area of the market..

It is time to manage avian predators!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 AM
New Arrival

No sense killin and skinnin something that is not worth nothin. I wait till November and still get a few blue coon!

T-R
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden41
I was told by 2 buyers last weekend to leave the coon in the woods;don't trap them.Prices will be bad.No way a $12 coon is worth $4 blue though.I call -- on that one.
Jayden call all the -- you want. I never said I was selling to any buyers. I send all my stuff directly to auction. I skip the middle man and I was just giving the $12 & $4 numbers for a comparision not concrete prices. Oh and for your information I averaged $14 on all my coon last year at FHA's May auction. My low on coon was $11.50 and I also averaged $44 on my reds and had one at $55. I don't -- anyone. Just tell what I have experienced.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Banned

There are plenty of spotty coons caught the first two weeks on November around here. Iím not saying I never, or I will not set a trap then, because I will now and then to pass the time if I kill an early archery buck. I start my line the last Saturday of Archery season and run it until rifle starts then I pull my gear. Iíll reset a smaller line for K-9ís, beaver, & cat Dec 26th until January 2nd. Then Iím back to work and Iíll monkey around with a few sets here and there.

Shipping direct is the only way to go if you are looking for top dollar. Long Beard, it sounds as if you do a fine job in the fur shed because you are getting top dollar. If you are looking for that top dollar pay day and you are running smaller lines like myself. It pays to take your time and put things up correctly as well as it pay higher prices to wait until the furs are prime.

Good luck to all,

Snapper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page