lesson learned - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

lesson learned

i was testing out some of my new trap supplies this morning when i got back into town and i bought a saftey clip for my body grip traps and of course i had to try it and after that i wanted to test my new kill clips and i have bein playing with 110s since i first got into hunting as a boy and have had more then a few close calls but still always grab them when they are open like its nothing well today when messing around i finally got caught red handed. i wish i could say this is the first time ever getting caught in my own trap but its not i got my had stuck in a #1 duke last year while pulling it in the rain in a flooded stream bed. ive got a list miles long of mistakes over the years from trapping to hunting and nothing beats sitting down around the fire at hunting camp with good friends trying to one up each others mistakes and sharing a couple of luaghs.

So over this cyber fire whats your best mistake?

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 PM

Re: lesson learned

this isnt really trapping but during hunting season i stopped to tie my shoe when i was leaving and saw a buck and shot it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

during fall turkey season when i was a youth my uncle an i were walking by a standing corn field and saw a young bear sitting they it had pulled down all the corn around it. now a little back ground on how smart my uncle is, he is a bio teacher passed college with ease is always trying new things to better himself writes a outdoor column in the local paper where he lives and has on more then one time literally put turkeys right on top of us. so he has some outdoors know how so back to the bear he yells 'hey bear' and the young bear looked at us and went right back to eating corn. As ture as im stading today my uncle picked up a stone an was about to throw it at the bear to get it to look up and then dropped the stone and looked at me and laughed. later at dinner that night we were all talking and my uncles almost mistake was the topic and he said " i always wonder how people end up on those when nature attacks shows and i now know that sometimes common sense isnt that common"

An too which i have another story that proves some people just dont have common sense. A few years ago my friends dad has a call company so we would do youth hunts for spring gobbler. we had 3 kids and there dads at our tiny camp in potter county this year hunting and i was runing the video and my freind calling. the night we got to camp we were fishing in the stream right next to the camp and i saw some of the people from camp walking into the woods where i herd this whinning sound. i didnt really pay any mind to it i was much more into fishing the deep hole i found and after some of them went back inside and then came running out with cameras i asked one of our group what was going on. turned out there was a baby cub in the tree and that is what i had herd whinning and they all decided to go video and take pictures of it. i quickly got out of the stream and started to take off my waders when my friend asked if i was goin to take photos too. I replied
" no i've seen this episode of when animals attack before im going inside!" and ran into the cabin. no one saw the mom but she was at camp with the cubs the next night, which just shows that my uncles word are very true
"common sense isnt that common"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 AM

Wait till you have to drive home with a 330 on your arm.

NOTE TO VEGETARIANS: My food poops on your food! Enjoy your salad!!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

ive had to drive home from camp without a bumper becuase we forgot there was a drainage ditch in the front yard and dropped right into it cant believe it didnt set off the air bags now my hunting truck no longer has fog lights

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

had both thumbs caught in a Duke 1 1/2 coilspring 2 years ago that was intersting ever try to open a coilspring with you'r feet while you'r thumbs are stuck in it in the middel of a creek LOL not that easy
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

yes i had 3 of my right hand fingers in a #1 mink set that was about 2' under water cus of the flood and it went off on my hand couldnt see the trap cus of the water being so fast an muddy and couldnt reach my tools had to open it under water blind with my boots, lesson learned to carry a stick to set them off.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 PM

All I can say is never pee anywhere near an electric fence

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 PM
The Man

you learn to respect 330's when you end up with a thumb stuck between the 2 jaws and in the eye loop of the spring. messed it up pretty good. i even had to call my mom to skin for me.
famous quote from my boy Doug that week: "if your Grammy teaches you how to skin beaver...... you might be a redneck"

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Had 1 thumb bit by 4 coiled #2s and 3s a few times now...but i got a phone call from a job i was really hoping for...didnt get the job...completely bummed...head not on the task at hand...half foot of snow...cold...setting a 4 coiled #3.....BOTH thumbs blasted!!! One was sore from getting blasted a few times that week "my rookie season". Haha...so that one was really bad off...but now here i am..stuck in my own trap...cant pull either thumb out...short chained trap...cant hardly stand up....took a few minutes but i did eventually free myself....would been a.longgggg while before anyone came looking if i didnt get out...most days i goto my buddies and dont come home till after my parents are in bed..land owners house was a few hundred yards away but he comes out once a week in that weather..buddy would know where to look but noone would contacted him as noone would know i was missing for a few days lol....could been bad if i was actually stuck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page