Long but funny storey - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Long but funny storey

Funny but true storey, a little long but worth the read.

Iím not lure maker by any means; I just like to mess around a little bit here and there. So Iím home alone this morning which is never a good thing. To top that off Iíve been concocting this plan on how to solidify a L.D.C. Long Distance Call lure I make for trapping, since August. I developed a plan on how to do this in part from, another trapper, a cooking show, and a lure formula Iíve been using/working on as a call lure for a few years now. Since the wife was not home, I did not have to be at work until 3:00, I decide this morning would be a good time to make some L.D.C. in my kitchen.

To prepare for this adventure I:

1. Place one large pot of water on the stove and fill it up 60% of the way. I then turned the stove on 5, and placed a second pot inside the fist pot and filled up with about 3 inches of water. I got that from the cooking show. I did not want the mixture of glands and skunks essence to overheat and burn but I wanted them heat up and bond together.
2. I mixed one Oz. of skunk essence with Ĺ Oz. of glands I use. I combined the two in one 4 Oz. glass bottle with a plastic lid. I then placed it into the pot of water.
3. I then placed two 3 Oz. plastic containers of scentless petroleum jelly in the inside of the pot as well to heat it into a liquid form. When everything is done, dump the L.D.C. into the liquefied jelly, remove from the heat, and it will solidify. I also do this for a liquid based lure I sue at post sets.

After a short time, the jelly turned into a liquid, I then removed the skunk essence and gland mixture, I could tell by looking into the clear glass bottler that I left it in too long. The smaller container with the lid heated up faster that the large container with the jelly. No Brainer right? WRONGÖ I took the bottle out of the water and placed over the kitchen sink. I then took the lid off and the skunk essence and glands to find out that everything had bound perfectly. Unfortunately they heated up and expanded to the point that they began pouring out of the bottle over my hands and into the kitchen sink.
Okay so I panicked a little, I put the lid back on, run over to the trash can and toss it in. As I turned back around the light bulb turned on and then realize that I now have skunk essence and glands in my kitchen sink, on my kitchen counter, all over the trash can, and over the kitchen floor. Yeppers, I did itÖ

So I did what any good trapper would do, I whipped up a new batch of essence and glands. As Iím making the second batch I notice my dog outside jumping at the porch door trying to get inside??? This never happens, my dog never wants inside. So I let her in, she starts going crazy running through the kitchen, up on the table, jumping at the stove, which she never, ever, does, trying to isolate odor.

What did I learn:

1. It was a good idea to wait until the wife was not home
2. Dawn may take the grease away but it will not take the skunk odor from the sink.
3. Scented candle may smell good on their own, but not so much when mixed with skunk, and they will not cover it up either.
4. When the wife smells the kitchen, Iíll probably be needing a new place to sleep tonight.

On a side note, I took the L.D.C. & the Post set lure outside to cool/solidify. I whipped the outside of the containers off with paper towels prior to putting them with the rest of my lure. I left the paper towel in the picnic table. A half hour later I finally got my dog to go back outside. She immediately ran over to the table, jumped up and picked the towels up and started chewing them. I tried to get them off of her she took them and ran. I may not be able to catch a yote or a fox with it but I bet I can do a number on Jack Resells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 PM
The Man

Re: Long but funny storey

Lol
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 PM

Uh, skunk essence and kitchen should not be used in the same sentence unless it is " My wife chewed me a new one for using skunk essence in my kitchen".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Prayers sent

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Think turkey cooker outside!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm going to need them brother, as she has not called me yet and I'm heading home in 15 minutes.

I thought about the turkey cooker, I feared not being able to control the heat and burning the lure or jelly.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Use a hot plate outdoors!!! I actually like the smell of skunk... just not in the house.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

When I lived in an Apartment building I cooked some traps up on the stove and was told by the upstairs tenent that someone must have hit a skunk somewhere. I never told her any different.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 12:27 PM

If she got home and asked you what you'd like for dinner, she's a keeper! lol

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page