Are my New Traps Legal? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Are my New Traps Legal?

So i wanted to beef up the arsenal this year and just ordered some new traps- (Aimed at yotes specifically) I decided to go with bridger #3's, 4 coiled and fully modified from the factory. A bunch of the sites i priced them on quoted a 6 1/2 jaw spread- i finally went with f&t as ive been happy with their service before. But i went snooping around a bit after the order, one other website quotes the same trap at 6 3/4.... ? They havent arrived yet, so i was wondering if anyone else has these and knows in fact if they are PA legal? Should i cancel the order and bump back down to #2's .. or is there a way i can slightly tweak the spread to comply with our laws? I'll measure when they get here to be sure.. i was just looking for any insight you guys might have. THanks Ahead of time.
-Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Are my New Traps Legal?

Stock they should be legal. If you laminate, laminate the inside of the jaws. I've never seen it in writing; but the nw office and local wco told me nothing larger than 6 1/2" outside measurement. Some will argue the 6 1/2 inside.... but this is what I was told.

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

They Come Laminated- baseplated, 4 coiled (fully modified). 5 out of 6 sites still quote it at a 6 1/2 spread but the one site that says 6 3/4 has me a bit unnerved. Especially after the $100+ investment. Thanks for the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

My stock are 6.5 with no lams. If you got 1/4" lams you will be a half inch too wide, near 7".....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

The 2's are good traps. I would be making a phone call if I were you. Or you could inside lam but I think I would do something
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I got off the phone with F&T and followed up by calling Two game commish offices- Nw and SW-(as thats where i'll be trapping) Jaw Spread Is now measured Under the PGC rules as the INSIDE- across the body of the trap and over the dog. Not sure if this is a change or if it was always this way? I hate how foggy the code is. Anyway it seems im safe.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPBF
I got off the phone with F&T and followed up by calling Two game commish offices- Nw and SW-(as thats where i'll be trapping) Jaw Spread Is now measured Under the PGC rules as the INSIDE- across the body of the trap and over the dog. Not sure if this is a change or if it was always this way? I hate how foggy the code is. Anyway it seems im safe.
you are only safe IF your traps are INSIDE laminated....if they are outside laminated they will NOT be legal...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

The outside measurement is 6 3/4 - Inside Measurement is 6 1/2- Which i noted to both offices and 3 separate officials at the PGC offices. And i quote- "Measurement for field officers is obtained by placing the end of the tape inside the free jaw, across the center of the trap, over the dog and recorded where touching the inside of the opposite jaw- 6 1/2 and under inside spread is legal." This quote is as per the official i spoke with at the NW office- and his supervisor- and further validated by the sw office. Feel free to duplicate my efforts- [NW office number (814) 432-3187] i would be very happy to be doubly and triply sure just to avoid any confusion on the line come fall.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I spoke to another reputable WCO from here and It Seems he measures from the Outside lams- SO ....i guess just to be safe i'll be sending the traps back at any rate and hoping to exchange them. Even if there is some inconsistency across the wmu's i'd hate to have to flip a coin and wonder which traps were acceptable to whom. Better off going smaller on all measurements and save the aggravation.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kenny, in my area I have consistently been told that it is the inside jaw measurement that counts as well.
I would ask for your "quote" in writing from the PGC and stick with your #3's. At least you would have some backup if you ever needed it in court.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page