Otter Trapping - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Otter Trapping

Did anybody see the article in the PA outdoor news about the possability of an otter season? It probably would be like the fisher season, very limited in a small area. More than likely around the Poconos.

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Otter Trapping

If you go to your District meeting you would find alot of this stuff out first hand....They are pushing for a season around 2015
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy
If you go to your District meeting you would find alot of this stuff out first hand....They are pushing for a season around 2015
I missed the district meeting last Sunday because our sportsmens club had a work day. I'll have to try and make the fall meeting because I'm obviously missing out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

we've had a catch and release season here for 15 years or so. when you release them they always float i mean swim away. this is a long over due season. there have been years when my otter catch doubled my beavers at certain points of the season
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

And I'm just 1.5 hours away from you and I've only ever seen two otters in my lifetime. One in Redrock and the other on the Susquehanna River near Nescopeck.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i think the otters are like the hares. if you don't have the right habitat they aren't around. in the early spring i can go check beaver traps and see otters up on the ice eating fish in several of the private lakes i trap near. the state parks you will also see alot of them
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

lots of them in northern wayne county
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Like it was stated, if you have the habitat. Very few here in Somerset County if any. There was a trap and transfer program a bunch of years ago and some were released in the Yough River in the extreme southwest portion of the county. (Not sure if there even present there now) and some in the Juniata river in northeastern Bedford County but acid mine drainage is a big problem in this part of the state. Lots of flowing water but no fish and the water is orange.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

the habitat is probably the most important thing to an otter. for the most part they seem to not be a very social animal.i catch several a year in far out beaver swamps. i have also caught them in little springs that barely have water flowing through.if and when we do get a season it would be nice if the pgc would be realistic and not set a limit on them. i have had a few fish clubs and private landowners who stock ponds ask me if i could come take care of them as the complaints to game commission fall on deaf ears. i also never understood why a guy trapping legally would have to turn them in when they are already dead. seems like a waste of the resource. if caught in a foothold i could see releasing them but not from a 330 as i'm sure the majority are caught.its also a pain in the butt to haul them out and make the call then have to wait till you get a callback from a wco.here is one i stored untill a wco was able to get down this way. the year was 2006 the second pic was another from the same spot. the boy loved to see them.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wow! What a beautiful furbearer! It would be neat to see a trapping season for them. But, like you stated, you would not like to se a limit but just look at the fisher situation. I live in an area just loaded with fisher and people around here catch several during trapping season. The problem is the season is only 6 days long. The fisher has a large territory and may be in one area right before the season and then disappear. I had a dozen coilsprings set out during this past season in an area that was loaded with tracks in the snow during deer season. (what little snow we had then) I caught nothing during that span since the fisher may have moved to another area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page