dispatch methods - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

dispatch methods

I am going into my second trapping season thisyear and need some input on the best dispatch methods for coon, fox, yote...that will not damage the fur or at least as little as possible....please pm me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 03:57 PM
The Man

Re: dispatch methods

I prefer to shoot trapped animals with a .22. Some trappers use compression with fox but it's always been easier for me to shoot.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

x2 on the .22. much easier for me also. coon are pretty hard headed and you may be late for work or school with a bat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Used to use a bat but didn't like how some coons will cover their heads with their hands.

Just don't use a 22 on skunks.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:25 PM
The Man

Quote:
Just don't use a 22 on skunks.
In the late 1950s/early 1960s I trapped a lot of skunks while in school. Most of those years a good #1 or even #2 skunk was worth 2 muskrats.

I checked my traps before school and my skunks were shot with a .22.

An older boy showed me the best way to shoot a trapped skunk. The first thing walk right up to the skunk, rifle or revolver at the ready. Do not shoot from 20-30 feet away. 8-10 feet is about right. Unless you have a yapping dog dancing about or some fool kid shouting and skipping about you are not going to trigger the spray response in the skunk.

Now we have established you have to get into a range where where you are going to score a guaranteed hit on 1 shot.

Now for the easy part. Just cooly and calmly fire 1 round into the skunk's head. 1 [one]. No more. Use a .22 short cartridge. Then turn around and walk away. Turn and walk. Go check your remaining traps.

Do not worry what the skunk is doing after you fire the shot. Most likely it's going to be standing there watching you. That's fine. The skunk is not going home with us right now any way.

Just leave him alone and don't bother him with additional shots or poking sticks unless you want a stinky mess.

While in school, skunks shot in the morning were left to quietly expire during the day, then collected in the afternoon.

When I was older and I had to jiggle a job, I would leave the skunk till the next day.

When handled this way, skunks usually just lay down, curl up and pass. You find them in full rigor mortis the next trip through. Seldom do they spray, and even if they do it is just a few drops, not full blown sac emptying blasts. Leaving them out over night helps the critter to 'blow off.'

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have been putting foxes down for 35 years and my fastest way is one rap to the nose, once stunned one rap to the throat patch -done in seconds. Found this in Barons's Fox trapping methods by Scott Behrens circa 1986? I have taken non-trappers out and they were amazed how fast I turned the lights out on fox. Coon are best shot with .22, then stood upon to control DNA in one small spot.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Oldmink, I've had several trappers state over the years that head shot skunks almost always spray, some sort of CNS response. BTW if you shoot through the brain, they are instantly lights out, though I have no idea if skunks do the coon thing. What I've been told is to shoot them through both lungs and most times it puts them down with no spraying. Of course there is the other method for skunks, but that's best left for PM's. I've used this method and they basically fall asleep and never wake up- no leaking or spraying.

I've used the stun and throat method on foxes before, but I'm not always fast enough nor a hard enough pitcher. So I tend to just heart or dbl lung shoot them. I figured a way to have no exit, but the angle is difficult. No exit= no bleeding till I'm skinning.

Coons and possums I shoot in the head right through the top center.

If I ever catch coyotes, it will be a heart shot, as there is a small market for the skulls.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

fox trowel to the nose then heel in lungs
22 between eyes for coon
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page