Larger Pan Advice Needed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Larger Pan Advice Needed

Guys, I am currently using #2 Bridger 4CS for coyote and cats. Those of you using similar traps, are you using larger pans? If so, which ones are you using? Basically, what I am asking here is this: How are you getting the most surface area out of your trap pans? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Larger Pan Advice Needed

i use 1.65 and 1.75 and see no reason for larger pans. if a animal puts its foot within the trap area i have him, if he doesn't that probably means i need better trap placement.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Never used larger. Most/maybe all of the coyote in my avatar were caught using ground down pans. Idea being better to miss completely than educate. If you go larger make sure the levers don't hit the pan on the way up.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 PM
The Man

i can see big pans for mink/rats but not canine.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 AM

Ive read a #3 bridger pan will fit the #2s and not cause issues...but never tried it so i dont know for sure...like was said the problem with coilsprings and big pans is the pan can only be so big before it interfers with the levers.....i have seen guys extend the pan towards the loose jaw....

I dont see the reason...they fire the trap with their foot over the jaws or dog and it is likely to toss their foot out of the way or make a poor catch....

Some cat trappers love a DLS with big pan or a shingle or similar on the pan....it increases the trigger area...i get that...but at the same time you can end up with misses or marginal catches...

Also heard of guys grindi g down pans to make them small...with the idea of the critters foot being in the center of the jaws when it sets the trap off....that makes sense to me....

But as of right now i leave my pans alone...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 PM

Use wire screen covers if you want to increase the catch area;much cheaper I think.I personally wouldn't do it,and prefer to guide them to step center of the pan.You will want a deep foot catch rather then toes.Practice with your guiding more.Make the best spot to step directly over your pan.Use droppings or other small natural guides to get them to center their foot;works for me

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 PM

I use 1.5 round pans on 1.75 and # 2 traps to help ensure a good center catch with these small traps having a smaller jaw spread. The bigger the animals foot the more likely it could only have toes or part of its foot in the jaws. These being 4 coiled and base plated with jaw ends bent up or bubbled with welder. Number 3's are probably the better trap. They give you that bigger catch area.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 PM

The only traps I use/put bigger pans on are #1 1/2 coils and #2 sq jaw Victor coils. They are used only for mink.

1A-2F
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

i guess i will be the out cast here.....i run the big 3 inch round PIT pans on all my #4's....and helped design a semi bigger PIT pan for the 1.65,1.75,2 sized traps that hasnt hit the market as of yet.....i can see a increase in my catch with using the bigger pans...and i always guide the foot to where i want it....

here in PA you toe catch guys are bonkers....i dont care how they are caught because with our check laws here a toe caught K9 will be there when you get there the next day....ok well maybe 1 out of 100 K9's may get out....i will play those odds with the bigger pans......

that small pan idea was taught to the 70's trappers and earlier because the quality of traps we have (excluding the #3,#4 DBL longs) now wasnt available then so they wanted that foot as deep and as centered the jaws as possible...but with the traps thats here today do just fine with toe caught K9's.....

if you guys want to prove me wrong i will bring one of these to the convention and you can see if you trip the trap with your finger laying over the loose jaw,and lets just see if it kicks your finger out of the trap or if your finger ends up in the trap after it fires.....anyone up for the challenge????????? COME ON GUYS PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!!!!

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

I agree with you walkercoonhunter. Especially on toe caught canines being there the next day. And I like the pan in the picture except for one thing. The oversized pan extends beyond the pan notch. Granted, not by much. But personally I'd lose that part of the pan as it doesn't serve a purpose. OR. Enlighten me.. Am I missing something?

It is time to manage avian predators!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page