dead red foxes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

dead red foxes

I know that we trappers tend to be the first to notice when things just aren't right out in the nature we go into. I also have some eyes and noses to watch when I can't. Buddy from one of my trapping locations called me today to tell me he found a dead red fox a short ways behind his house in the woods. Keep in mind he called a coyote into right behind his house and shot it nearly 2 years ago, and the other coyotes have continued to hang around the area since. There is also a bobcat that has been around.

He says it was a male, no mange he could see, and something had eaten the guts and rib cage out of it.

About feb 1 or so I found a dead xl size red in some woods right in back of my parent's place where I live. I assume it was a male due to the size. The fur was beautiful, and it really upset me to see this waste. Something had eaten the guts out of it.

Some years back another guy I know caught a grey fox not too far just over in PA, and something had killed it and eaten the chest and guts out of it. There were signs of a coyote found after season that same year, and a coyote was shot/killed there the next deer season.

What I'm getting at is- is this the work of coyotes in all 3 cases? Do they like to eat the guts out of foxes? I can't think of how there could be disease killing the 2 reds recently, it wasn't mange, and there just aren't enough reds to be distemper or something. Disease tends to always rage through when the species is very overpopulated. The year that foxes were all over the place, they were being hit on roads at a high #, almost like possums LOL. I'd think these may have been sick with rabies, parvo, distemper and just got stupid and slow, because I have seen foxes run across a road and they are like lightening. Raccoons can run, but not as fast as foxes, and possums toodle, so that's why you see more of them hit on roads. Deer hesitate or try to turn around in panic, causing hits. Foxes just dart- zoom-gone. But if a fox is sickly, then they slow down to raccoon speed or toodle like a possum.

So, for those who have experienced the first mass wave of coyotes into red country, did you find dead foxes in the woods that were not mangey or obviously shot and left? What do the coyotes do to the trapped foxes they kill- are any eaten in any way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM
The Man

Re: dead red foxes

In my limited experience with coyotes encountering foxes, the coyote kills the fox by grabbing and shaking. Then, if he's hungry, eats the heck out of the fox's guts and chest.

Maybe others see it different.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 AM

My uncle has caught reds and had a coyote or coyotes come in and kill it while in the trap. The thing was it looked like a mass murder seen. Blood and fur everywhere and the only thing left of those fox were the paw/leg up to about the elbow. That was it! The tail was even gone. He's even preserved one and kept it in the MB550 he caught it in as a conversation piece. With all that being said maybe they died of natural causes or hit by a car and wondered into the woods deeper then one would think (I think a lot of deer do this) and what was found was the leftovers from a buzzards or crows interupted meal.

Honesty is my only excuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 12:04 PM

If you have a trail camera put it up watching the fox your neighbor just found and see what comes back.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i went for walk 2 weeks ago and found a dead grey fox half eaten coyote scat about 5 ft away. had a grey killed in a set by coyotes there was tracks all over the place. but without seeing the signs it could of bin a golden eagle also not to sure if there still passing through or not.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was talking to another guy yesterday who has farmland he owns or manages ( not sure which) and he said he has found 3 dead red foxes all with the guts eaten out. I'm not sure if he found all 3 recently or if it's spaced out some. They were all in brushy areas between feilds and woods. The farmland is on my side of the interstate not too far from me.

The mystery deepens!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You may be on to a hot new coyote bait?? FoxGut Supreme!
Why not? Cut it out, grind it up, and preserve with SB immediately to preserve that delicious eviscerated smell.

It's interesting that I've seen many dead cats with nothing but the guts and genitals eaten off them and then peed on by foxes.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ok I went and consulted with Bob Wendt, and he says he has never seen a red killed by a coyote in his sets that was eaten in any way, so he thinks the guts missing is just scavengers- possums, vultures, eagles. Things could be different here though.

Oh yeah he had other things to say about " the reds coming back" and said I could quote him on it LOL. I think I will spare you.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM
New Arrival

i've seen where the coyotes will bite the fox in a trap bite marks on their back, but never had one killed
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Foxes will bite other foxes in traps, and get downright nasty about it. I can't imagine a coyote would ever just bite a fox and let it live.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page