favorite PA land trap - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

favorite PA land trap

i know the coyote "problem" is relatively new...and some of y'all are still not seeing it...

where i trap its already mainly coyotes...a few fox..and if i can i will try again for a cat and fisher...coon are incidental i dont care to catch em..

y'all know PA conditions and what works...but i want something that will last..wont break down on me..bent dogs dont bother me..thats an easy fix with rod dogs...just want a beefy trap that'll be around when i retire..which is a long ways off! LoL!

right now i have some fully modded bridger #2s...i like them..i like the square jaws...i had some round jaw montys and didnt care for them...GREAT trap..just not for my line....i like the size of the bridge #2s..i actually didnt make a single catch in them this season..but my catches were limited..what i did catch was in other traps..

i sold everything i owned besides my fully modded bridger #2s...trying to "standardize" my line somewhat..and go to fully modded "coyote" traps that wont be too rough on a fox..

going to buy more...but torn...right now im looking at more fully modded bridger #2s..but Sleepy Creek offset #3s look like a nice trap...and the MB-650 is another on the list...the MBs are obviously the most expensive..

what are y'alls thoughts?? whats your "go-to" PA land trap?(not including coon land sets..)

gas stays high or keeps going higher i wont be trapping much at all...but, trying to prepare for next season..worst comes to worst i'll trap a week or 2 or 3 at camp...just hard to spend gas money burning a good few gallons a day running a line to catch a couple coyotes worth a few bucks a piece..i LOVE trapping..but if it gets too expensive it gets too expensive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: favorite PA land trap

I dont have much experience, but really like the mb-550's that i have. They are basically fully modded(base plate, machine chain, rod dog with night latch, center swivel, thick cast jaws) and are tough(had one run over by a truck on frozen ground, couldnt reset, but just wired the jaws open and pressed the base plate back straight with a hydraulic press,and good as new, no damage to cast jaws) I havent caught any coyotes however caught reds and greys in them this year without damage!! Hope this helps, i'm gonna order another dozen and try the closed jaws, as the ones i have are offset!! Good luck with your decision, and dont think you need 650's...

16-17 numbers
fox 0
coons 8
coyotes 1
mink 0
muskrat 0
beaver 0
opossum 1
skunk 1
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanx kish...ive worked with 550s once on a friends line....real nice trap....i just rather have right around a 6" jaw spread...i know its "un-needed" and pan placement is everything....but i like a little bigger trap...just sold some 1.65s because of their size...easier to work with..lighter to carry...lots of pros and cons..

I been battling these thoughts a while....right now the bridger #2s fit my idea of what im looking for on my line...not huge but not small either...just dont wanna overlook other good traps similarly sized...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 AM

I use all Duke 1 3/4 or #3s on my land lines.They will last forever if you take care of them.Obviously the springs need replacing every so often.Have yet to have a yote pull out of a 1 3/4 duke.I have switched to #3s now for the most part,but if theres a chance of domestics around I have no worries throwing down a 1 3/4
I trap all public ground so MB's are out of the question with theft

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have the MB 550's and 650's I like them both very much. I think the 550 is the best trap out there for the price. It's a great trap for all the canines and cats. Now that I 550's I wait and set my 650's during cat season.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

Take a look at the Montana #2 Special.
I Plan on picking up a few MB 550 and 650 this summer to try.

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

The traps you are running are good. What are you looking for anyhow.
I have the 650's but prefer my modified #3 Montanas. I like the simplicity of the Montanas. I do not like the pan setup on the 650's.
I am going to give the 450's a good try this year as the coyotes seemed to have moved through, a few in pockets but not as prevalent as a few years ago. The 450 will hold a coyote and not be rough on a fox.

Just my thoughts.

Denny
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My preference is probably useless to you but I'm going to throw it out there anyhow.

I've always loved the 1.75 Northhwoods and consider it the best all-around Pa. trap. Like you I like the square jaw. It's a big trap for a 1.75, all but 5 1/4" outside to outside and it is identical in design to the Bridger traps.

Way back they were the premier fox trap around here. When my daughter got me back into trapping 7-8 years ago I still had some and still had a fondness for them.

I kept my old ones and, over the years, bought a bunch more.

I actually found a place with OEM Northwoods parts and put new springs on all my old traps and every used one I buy. I keep the square link chain attachment on the frame (same set up as Bridger) or put it back on if it's missing. I run a swivel at the frame, mid-chain and stake end, I replace the ring with a flat stake swivel.

One last thing I do is put the little shock springs back on. I know they are not very effective and don't do much...but it's a nostalgia thing...

I do run # 2 Bridgers when I'm targeting yotes up north but I've often considered (and still do) selling them off an standardizing with all NW 1.75's.

There ya have it...

Eh...wot?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the info guys! i appreciate it...

the montanas are another trap that caught my eye...but seem to be hard to find new..not sure if they are going outta business or what?

i know the smaller traps can work..even for cats and yotes...but, with the yotes thick here and being about the only thing for me to target, i think id be better off with a bigger trap..the #2 bridger seems like a nice size..big enough but not going to catch a fox by the elbow...

i WISH i had fox to trap...ive caught 1 in 2 years of trapping...and ive caught 5.5 yotes (1 stolen!) fox are worth more and easier to handle! lol
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Contact John Graham, they are not out of business

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page