fur buyers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

fur buyers

who on here sells to dave rogers? like to hear what your thoughts are on him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: fur buyers

I've sold to Dave the last three years or so. Just called him on Saturday. I've been very satisfied with the prices I've received from him. I always use the District 11 sale as my yardstick. If my fur buyer can give me an average that is in the ballpark of the PTA sale...I'm okay with it.

I used to sell to John Epler, still buy supplies from him. Both men are good stand up guys and always treated me very fairly but I felt I did a little better with my foxes at Dave's. Now the coons...John always went nuts for our coon, paid better than the District 11 average. I just don't catch enough to justify a separate trip up there, so Dave gets them too.

I was going to sell to Dave again this year, that's why I called him Saturday, to set up an appointment. He was up in the mountains beaver trapping and by the time he got back to me on Sunday afternoon, somebody had talked me into selling to NAFA for the first time.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dave as a fur buyer to anyone. He will treat you fairly and will go out of his way to answer any questions you might have about his grading methods. If he's not too busy, ask him to show you his cow hide operation...interesting stuff.

Eh...wot?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

when i was in chester back in january helping a young kid learn we went to daves. the kid had some coons and a few fox that he took up that were only skinned. i thought the prices were a little low but didn't mind to much. now the kid is trying to get some beaver. i helped him set some sets and he has caught two. just told me he took them up tonight and got 5 dollars each on them.the one i helped him skin was around 2o lbs.the one he got the other day was a 30lber.i realize this one wasn't skinned but 5 bucks seems like he is treating the kid bad.don't mean to bad mouth anyone but i know a thing or two about beaver and what he gave the kid is not right. talk about taking advantage of someone who doesn't know any better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

That is about the price Jerry Johnson is giving on beaver. Beaver should definetly be sent to NAFA.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Regular Visitor

Daave is a standup guy and I sell all our fur there

2011-2012
reds 7
greys 1
yotes
coons 10
possums 15
skunks 1
others 6
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I dont know dave but $5 comon that doesnt seem right.Sounds like hes taking advantage of the youngin.Hope you took the castor out.There given more then $5 for green coon

Dietsch he sold the 20 and 30lber for a flat $5 or got $5 for each beaver
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 AM

Beaver last time i looked was averaging 25-30$ or so finished...

Im no beaver trapper but they seem to be a chore to skin, flesh, and put up....5$ might be slightly low but the buyer got probably a good hour or so??? of work to get them 2 beaver finished...

Iffin i was a beaver trapper id put em up...i understand its a youngun learning the ropes....iffin i was a buyer id try to help younguns any way i could...a few extra bucks wont break the bank...free help showing them the ropes when i had time...discount if they spent their fur money in my shop etc...whatever i could do to keep them interested and selling to me would ensure a good future for me as a buyer and the younguns....but i aint a fur buyer....i absolutely wish i could open a business selling outdoor stuff....frustrates me how many bad businesses are open....reloading supplies got me goin recently...i can order stuff and pay shipping and hazmat fees cheaper than i can support the local shops....sorry times are tough....i dont got a problem paying a little extra to buy local...but things are outrageous sometimes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page