Chain length for coon and mink - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Chain length for coon and mink

Just got 2 dozen Duke 1.5's for coon trapping next season. Made a few mods last night. What chain length do you guys prefer for coon and mink? I think the factory ships these with about a 15 inch chain. Seems long to me. Also, does anyone else have issues night latching Duke traps? The dog and pan seem like they are way to rounded to get a clean pan set. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Re: Chain length for coon and mink

I use a Dremmel tool to put the night latch on the pan. I then grind or file the end 1/4" of the wide top part of the dog to knock off the hump or bubble that is on ALL Duke dogs and square up the end of the dog to match the night latch. Then adjust your pan hieght. As far as chain length goes I put a MB crunch proof swivel on the D ring of the base plate. I then put 12" of MB #2 Twist link chain on. Then I put another crunch proof swivel and then attach my MB chain stake. The chain on the chain stake is 16" long. Two swivels have always worked for me but my brother always puts 3 between the trap and the chain stake chain. He says " just in case ". They are cheap so it doesn't hurt the wallet either way. LB

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm not a longliner guy, but I hardly do anything to them and they always work fine for me. That's the only trap I used this season and never had empty catch circles

1. take a file and square up the dog and take off the burr

2. level the pan

3. adjust the pan tension

4. file off any sharp edges.

5. NEXT......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Long beard and rain man I sent you a PM with a ? about mink and dukes
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 PM

I use drags for ALL coon sets.I use 14 guage wire and attach to limbs with alot of braches.Coons can't get a good pull when using drags to free themselves
For mink, I had 2 ft of chain and a fox drag.Makes setting mink traps super fast.set trap and push drag into mud out in deeper water or just toss into deeper water.Once mink gets into water,they go right to the bottom from weight of trap
duke traps are easy to mod.Sq. up pan and dog and file in nightlatch,set pan tension.i like a little for coon to get a deep foot catch;none for mink

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM

15" is fine for coon and mink. I like jayden41 wire almost all my coon and mink sets. I wire them to logs rocks or what ever is available. It's way easer to carry in 5 traps and a spool of wire than its is to carry 5 traps with six foot chains and drags. It might take u a couple min longer to set each trap. I am going to rig up 2 dozen 1.5's with 6' chains and drags to try when I'm running 100 traps this year. I never ran more than 40 at a time. I'm going to long line for coon twice this year for the first time. Once late november and over christmas I'm going to need to set as fast as I can and 6' chains and drags are going to be the ticket. There is no need to have a shorter chain for coon and nine in my opinion

work harder millions on welfare are depending on you
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 PM

Don't file edges of jaws!!!!! The Way the jaws are out of the box are what make dukes the best coon trap out there.

work harder millions on welfare are depending on you
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I place all mine on drowning rigs. Lightest tension possible, I catch norway rats too, but always have three sets per stop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page