pan distance from dirt hole set for fox - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

pan distance from dirt hole set for fox

I did post this in the wrong forum-sorry and thanks to the one reply I diid get in that one. I have been having inconsitant success with my way. I set my pan about 6'' and offset about2''. ????? I often find tracks farther back or closer and to the side,I do use guide sticks. What am I doing wrong? I am careful with solid bedding, use different gloves for setting and luring. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: pan distance from dirt hole set for fox

i set tight to the hole, maybe 2" offset
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM

I set 6"-7" and 2"-3" left ot right offset from the center of the dirthole. I don't use sticks for guides. I'll use a stone or 3 just before the 5 o'clock lever. Here's a pic that show what I am talking about. And you can also see the black "stink pickles" that this red left at the set. I just placed them to the left of the dirt hole. This remake took less than 5 minutes and had another red 2 mornings after this one and I never rebaited or added any lure after the catch.

Honesty is my only excuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'm becoming more and more convinced that a precise distance is not nearly as critical as keeping a low spot in the dirt pattern over the pan. This low spot could be anywhere from 1 inch to 4 inches below grade depending on the set I make.. And I'm with longbeard on using a few stones as guiding rather than sticks.. His picture is a great one to model your dirtholes after..

It is time to manage avian predators!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

That set looks identical to mine, even use a stone on my flat sets. Distances are the same also unless it's for coyotes then a full 9 and 3.

16/17 Goal-Totals
reds-20-10
grey-2-1
yotes-5-2
coon-12-9
bobcat-1
fisher-1-1
Otter-1
Beaver 3
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 PM

Yep I use a stone at my flat sets also. I have had luck with putting a 1" round piece of tree limb into the ground and sticking out about 6-8" straight up out of the ground. But instead of placing it where I would put the stone I put it below the 10 o'clock lever and inline of where the stones would be for a dirt hole. On all my sets I place the levers at 10 & 5 o'clock position and the dog at 2 o'clock position and the center of the loose jaw at 7 o'clock. Again I would keep the distance and offset the same as my dirt hole when using a flat set.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM

if you can't figure out distances,go to a double dirt hole.Put hole 6" apart and both angled to the trap set inbetween and 6" out.Looks like a perfect triangle.two different lures or bait in each hole and the fox or yote will shift feet to look into both.Real high percentage catch set for me.I like to use rebar size holes for yotes.if you want a single hole, go with a set down set.Buy Carmens foxes by the hundreds or Leggetts books
If you can't catch them on a double dirthole, get into coon trapping instead.A low spot is essential for good pad placement,and SMALL stepping stones/droppings

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks guys for all the info. I have no problem catching coons. I have been setting my levers at almost 9 and 3 0'clock with the lose jaw facing me. I will take all your advise and put them to use. No more guide sticks. I must say I have more success with cubbys on fox''',just not with the dirt hole and I have more locations for dirt hole s than cubbys.-thanks again-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page