Bobcat drama 2012 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bobcat drama 2012

2 years ago the guy who lives over where I have been trapping calls to tell me thee are bobcat tracks in the snow near his house, so the next day I got over there and sure enough, even though the tracks had aged ( temps stayed the same- not warm-up), I could tell there were not housecat.

There was nothing going on last year except the coyotes and the plethora of possums. But this year there's a bobcat again, have no idea if the same one from 2 years ago. First sign was all the cottontails disapeared, then I found some tracks in muddy soil. It wasn't more than a day or 2 later that the guy living back there calls me up all excited. He was checking some downed trees he needs to chop up by standing on them, and something started running out from the brushy tangle of all the branches. At first he thought it was a rabbit, but it then cleared the brushy tree mess and he clearly saw it was a decent sized bobcat, and it was making very long leaps.

Nothing about the bobcat for a month or so, but then today he calls all excited telling me he was set up near sunset doing rabbit squeals and armed with his .22 mag hoping for a coyote to get stupid. Instead of a coyote, he calls in a black feral cat. He watches the cat making it's way down a hill, then suddenly something jumps out at the cat, there is about 15 seconds of screeching and hissing and blur, then the noise stops and lo and behold the attacker animal reveals itself- bobcat! It then runs off with the dead feral cat. We now have an idea where it is denning, as it grabbed the kitty near where it was spooked out from under the trees. I don't think it's denning under the trees, more likely it took over a groundhog den somewhere around where it grabbed the cat. What's neat is that if the feral cat had not come out to the call, the bobcat probably would have come in really close to the guy's position, and he could have gotten a really good look at it- and probably would have had to reveal himself to shoo it off.

If I get any more info, I'll be sure to update. I did reset my mink/coon traps along the creek, everything is a blind set in water, so hopefully no bobcat catches( MD season runs to march 15 for coon, possum, muskrat, mink, beaver, otter). The bobcat was around when I was still fox trapping and I didn't catch it then, which is kind of weird actually. However I did not use any catnip, bobcat lures, bobcat urine at the sets LOL. Weird is that there is a constant influx of feral cats but I never caught any of them either ( I saw their tracks now and then on some trails). I hope bobcats don't like to kill and mutilate/eat mink... ( I doubt they will tangle with a coon, esp these nasty ones back in there)

Yes, there are bobcats down here. Not very many, but they are around. I also once saw tracks that I think were fisher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Bobcat drama 2012

That's pretty neat that the bobcats are making it down to your neck of the woods. I remember when bobcat trapping started in PA and the animal rights people started going nuts saying the tiny population will be wiped out. That just goes to show that the cat population is healthy and expanding!

The horizon is your starting point.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 AM

Re: Bobcat drama 2012

One of the favorite places for a bobcat to have its young isin or on top of a blowdown or large brushpile, might be worth you checking in the spring, they will often have the kittens tucked in the pile. good luck

LJS 1/25/48-11/3/13

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page