sold some fur... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

sold some fur...

i always like reading what others got from fur sales..and helps gauge what to expect off what others got...

hard not seeing someone elses fur to see what quality they had etc...but nice to have an idea...

anyways...i sold 15 green coon and 1 roughly put up coon...average was right around 7$..i thought that was fair considering the fur..some were very nice and most were all good sized coon..i think there was 1 or 2 "small" ones that still probably graded L or XL..but, 5 or 6 were rubbed, stained pretty bad, and had bald spots..buyer said probably from ticks..all were prime/past prime..nothing taken before December..

and the one i put up was a trial run..i knew i didnt have the right sized board but it was "close"..i wanted to practice fleshing before touching a fox or coyote..so i did up a "small" coon that still went 28"..i put a few extra holes in it and it was too wide...but, the buyer said i did a nice job fleshing it..my skirt was rough..window a bit big..left the front legs on..i kinda knew all that but nice to get input...

i also took a red fox and 2 coyotes...planned on keeping them anyways...but was offer 25$ for both coyotes..said they just werent furred up nice..and i could see that..to me they look nicer on my wall then 25$ does...also was offered 25$ for my fox...buyer seemed to really love my fox...said the put up was great and the fur was really nice...caught it mid dec during the fisher season...its a pretty red for sure...i planned to get it tanned to hang at my buddies camp with a yote i killed up there..will be a nice touch to the place and they let me use the place anytime i want...

will try to get pics of the yotes and red sometime...didnt get pics of the coons...

tough year for fur...coon were readily caught but the fur was hit or miss...i shot one or 2 the last week of the season that were the best ones i had...clear and no rubs...just weird how that goes..different animals live different places and such so it wears their coat differently i reckon...

was nice to get compliments for my first time putting up fur...definitely getting boards for coyotes before next year..i bought a wire yote stretcher and a board for the fox...i wanted to work first hand with each and see what i liked...wood is a little more time consuming but i really think it makes a nicer product...will probably pick up coon boards too now that i have some confidence in putting up fur...just not sure where i can put it up though...this year i worked in my root cellar..but only did 2 yotes and the red..no "stinky" coons etc..my canines get washed..so they didnt smell none....maybe hang them in one of my buddies cow barns or something..somewhere dry and warmer than outside with good airflow...aughta work OK..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page