Carry over of fleshed, dried, stretched coon - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Carry over of fleshed, dried, stretched coon

Does anyone have any experience carrying over fleshed, stretched-and dried coon until the following year?? What is the best way to do it? Any concerns I should have? Not sure if I'm going to; but am entertaining the ideas. All responces appreciated!

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 AM

Re: Carry over of fleshed, dried, stretched coon

I've done it several times just roll them up nose to tail wrap them up tight get the air out and double bag them, stick them in the freezer and get them out when your ready to sell next time. I've never carried them more then from one season to the next though. Your don't want them to freezer burn that's the main thing

Never Argue With An Idiot
They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 AM

why are you thinking about waiting?? just curious...the coon market is (or was..not sure on it right this second) as strong or stronger than it has been for a long while...

and with this mild winter across the "coon belt" the market is likely going to be flooded which in theory has big potential to drive prices down...depending on the demand of course..if the demand stays high and the coon keeps moving, thats GREAT...but with the high numbers it has potential to crash back down...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

and with this mild winter across the "coon belt" the market is likely going to be flooded which in theory has big potential to drive prices down...depending on the demand of course..if the demand stays high and the coon keeps moving, thats GREAT...but with the high numbers it has potential to crash back down...
Thats why I may hold off on selling. The furs are put up and dried.

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't know, I've been hearing about alot of guys walking with coons because the offered prices were low.
I kept a few a couple years ago put up. The just hung by the nose in my basement that stays relatively dry and around 70 degrees year round. Moisture management I think is key. Keep them dry and away from bugs and you should be good.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

When i sold mine there was the fear of coon flooded market, the problem is the midwest and upper midwest coons are bigger and better so they sell first. With the mild winter those guys caught way more coons than normal and they will flood the market and these eastern coons wont sell at big fur auctions. Then your buyer has to sit on them, thats why they want to give you less for them. Just what i was told in conversation with a man who knows his stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page