How to handle green fur??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

How to handle green fur???

I have a few questions on handling green fur. 1. Do you need to brush the burs out of the coon or just get the heavy mud and dirt off of them?? 2. Whats the best way to store them after they are skinned out?? ( rolled, flat, in plastic bags)?? 3. How long will they last in the freezer before they are freezer burned??

Watch your top knot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:25 PM

Re: How to handle green fur???

I brush them out good (burs and all)and roll them from nose to tail and store them in a plastic bag as air tight as I can get it,then freeze. As for freezer burn, I've stored them as long as a couple months without a problem. Never have kept them much longer than that though.

"DON'T 'PHILLY' POTTER COUNTY" !!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

if you want to keep them in the freezer long i would submerge the hides in water and then freeze.keeps the freezer burn way down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 PM

i roll them up and bag them in a few shopping bags and freeze them...prior to selling, i thaw over night and brush them out and make sure the fur is dry and looking nice....

one year we had coons stored at 2 of my buddies...we thawed the bulk of them and did em up like i said...the other buddy threw his on the garage floor and that was that...wet, muddy, nasty looking mess...same coons...taken from the same areas..same time of year etc...just werent dry or brushed out...we got docked on those ones...and i completely understand...the buyer was taking a risk by buying them..they just looked bad..nothin we could do about it at the time...

also, you mention length of time....we cant keep green fur past 10 days of the close of the season in PA...it needs put up or tanned or sold etc...think you can get a permit to extend it..but, i dont think they'll give you a long extension...

oh, prior to freezing, mine are left fur in...its typically cold enough that they start to freeze in the truck before i get home..keeping them fur in allows them to cool much faster and reduces the chance of fur slipping...obviously if its much above freezing get them frozen asap...but keeping them fur in lets them cool...can take a while for them to freeze fur out..

i roll mine fur out starting with the nose...if anything will freezer burn its likely to be the face..so i keep it inside..just the way ive always done it..
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for all the info. And the part about thawing them the night before you sell them was my next question. Thanks again guys

Watch your top knot.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:12 AM

depends on the temp of the thawing area...but usually over night is enough to get them unrolled...after a few hours i like to "help" them unroll..so they thaw quicker...

some like to roll them starting with the tail so they can hang them by the nose while frozen and they will unroll as they thaw...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lay them out flat and freeze. There is no need to roll up. Doing so takes longer to freeze and depending on the existing condition of the hide could cause problems.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

X2 Renny28. My buddy rolled a gorgous Grey last year and when it got tanned all that face hair released and it was no good. Was told the heat in the hide stayed in there to long from rolling it up and caused it to release. Think about it these critter survive harsh winters with that fur, it holds the heat in.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

couple more questions do u flesh them b4 u freeze them????
or just skin roll and freeze????
id rather brush the animal b4 i skin it is it easer that way or after???
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 01:45 PM
The Man

If you're going to flesh them, you might as well put them on a stretcher. Fleshing is the hard part.

Otherwise, skin, roll, freeze.

I brush the animal before I skin it and, since I put mine up, several times after it's on a stretcher. The brushing on the carcass is mostly to remove dirt, matting, burs, ticks, etc. The brushing on the stretcher is more cosmetic.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page