first season learning experience!!! PICS - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

first season learning experience!!! PICS

I am very new to trapping, got my first traps after deer season this year. At first I was not bedding them very well as you can see. I was getting dig outs on a regular basis.

After some coaching from an old friend who is experienced, I got my first coon, in a dirt hole set ( first catch ever)

With all the crazy warm weather and rain we have been experiencing, my first year has brought a lot of work dealing with my sets and remaking them, so the first snow was welcome, but brought another first, that wasnt so pleasant. WOW was he stinky!!!!

After the snow melted, and more rain started to fall, I told my wife that I was going to pull all my traps this morning when I went out. This being my first year I didnt have high hopes for connecting on any K-9s, but to my surprise when I got to my first spot this is what I found. Wow was I excited!!!!

With a nice fox under my belt during my first year I was more than happy!!! So on to pull the rest of my sets. I pull up to my last spot and believe it or not, I have another fox!!!! Holy crap 2 in one day, and on the last day for me this year!!! I know that a lot of guys probably get more than 2 in a day, but I think that is pretty good for a newbie. thanks for all the help and advice!!!

oh... got this guy too. kinda neat but hard to deal with, because of he was not very friendly. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 AM

Re: first season learning experience!!! PICS

Nice job for your first year. Keep at it and it will pay off. Ever day you are going to learn something new. This off season get some dry dirt and dye and wax your traps so they are ready for next season. And ask questions about pan tension and night latch traps. To me the pan tension was to heavy on that coon pic.

trapping goal
fox:
coons:
coyotes:
mink:
muskrat:
beaver:
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your rookie year. Pay attention to details when making your sets and especially if you have misses. Pan placement ect. Watch the wind direction for your sets also. Alot of people overlook it. And you already found out solid trap bedding is a must. Don't be afraid to ask questions, most everyone has different ways of doing things find out what works for you. Alot of DVD's out there showing different sets and methods, If you pick up one thing off the video it was worth it. Good luck next season.

16/17 Goal-Totals
reds-20-10
grey-2-1
yotes-5-2
coon-12-9
bobcat-1
fisher-1-1
Otter-1
Beaver 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:04 AM

dont know how many sets you ran or how long...but thats a pretty dang good first season IMO!

that skunk might have been stinky...but man, thats a pretty one to me! real wide stripes! i wont a narrow and a wide striped skunk tanned for the wall!

congrats!! keep working at it and im sure theres lots more rattling chains for you in the future!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It sounds like you had fun and learned some stuff. That right there makes it a good season...congrats!

Eh...wot?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
that skunk might have been stinky...but man, thats a pretty one to me! real wide stripes! i wont a narrow and a wide striped skunk tanned for the wall!
It took me a while but I got numbers 1-5 (the old grading system, fat wide stripe to no stripe)tanned for the wall.

Eh...wot?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 PM

thats awesome lugnut! i never knew about the grading system...but thats pretty cool!

i actually increased my pan tension this season and havent had a skunk or grinner catch...

might have to get some sets out next year with some nasty tainted bait and try to nab some stinkers...the essence alone kinda makes them worth targeting..and the last 2 weeks or so of our trapping season they seem to move hard with the good ole skunk rut...not to mention they are heck on turkey and pheasant nests!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Way back, my brother and I ran a "schoolboy" trapline. We'd step outside every morning and smell the air. Getting a whiff of skunk meant success and was cause for celebration!

Ever since, the smell of skunk brings back fond memories, I really like the little critters! I wanted to get a hat made out of two of our bigger ones but my trapping partner (daughter) won't let me...says it's a waste of fur because I'd never wear it!

Sorry for sidetracking your thread huntmaster80. Congrats again on a great first season!

Eh...wot?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:47 PM
The Man

Congratulations on completion of your first season and your fine catches.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:49 PM

Looks like a great first season to me!! I would love to get a grey. We have way to many reds and yotes where I'm at.

Every bird I bag is a beautiful poignant thing. - Charles Fergus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page