Misses - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Misses

So, we got hit with a few inches of snow and really high winds Saturday. Sunday was still super windy so I didn't bother digging out my traps until Monday (I did check them though).

So Monday I gear up and head out to clean everything up. I get to the set I caught the coyote in 2 weeks ago and there's k9 tracks all over behind the set. Hard to tell if it was a red or coyote because the tracks were snowed in but it was one or the other. He worked the set over pretty good but just from the wrong side.

I shoveled out all of the sets at that location (3) and moved to another point on the same property, the location where I caught the red fox 1 week ago.

I come up on these sets, a trench set (remade) that caught the red and a "fresh" trench set next to it. The fresh set has been worked hard by possibly the same animal (tracks were about the same size and they were coming out of the valley the other set disappeared into). This time the trap was fired, but it was under so much snow it caught nothing but air. It was still in the bed and there were tracks all over it.

So, I shoveled those 2 sets out and reset the trap and moved on. I had a red fox walk right through a snow covered hay set at another property without even breaking stride.

Yesterday I check my line and a coyote appears to have literally ran across part of a big field to get to the trench set that caught the red fox. The trap is sprung in the bed and there are tracks all over and around the set. Being that this was third time it was sprung (once I KNOW was from a car running it over), I figured either 1, the trap smells, or 2, he saw the trap when it was sprung before and now knows where to look. So, I repositioned the trap about 6" left of where it was originally and made the whole trench set look like a trap bed with buckwheat hulls, peat moss and sifted dirt all packed in. If the trap doesn't smell, maybe this will get him. If not, well, he spent a significant amount of time behind the backing walking around. I blended in another set there to catch him if he tries that again.

If you were in my shoes, what would you have done? Just looking for ideas and to see how other people handle misses like that.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Misses

I've pulled the trap out of the trench before myself to catch a digger, not snapper.
I don't think a coyote would even bother with the set if he was snapped at before though.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Misses

That's what I woulda done

Team Home Wrecker- Coming to a field near you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page