hayset yote! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

hayset yote!

well, this makes my 4th hayset coyote in the last 2 seasons!

the "tamest" coyote ive encountered thus far...it would jump away from me but never barked, howled, snarled etc..never showed its teeth..big female..

any thoughts on why ive caught 5 females in 2 seasons now?? i got my theories..but, i dont know...3 last year all went 47, 48 and 52"..one this year was i think 40" and this one was a fair bit bigger..the 40" was the only youngin...

also had 2 more move through another farm last nite..could been one of the ones i caught..no tellin...went past many sets and didnt get them...

theres a dirthole under that small piece of wood..

dont know if it missed the pan at this set or if its frozen...its bedded in peat and a BUNCH of antifreeze..have had any rain or much of a thaw since i set them..

same dirt hole the yotes dug up a few weeks ago! i made it big and flashy as you can see...still got worked by yotes! i did change up the lure and used a bobcat call lure and a bait down the hole..

a new flat set i put in after the yotes dug at the dirt hole and missed one at the haypost a few weeks ago...had beaver castor in 2 corn cobs and a call lure on a branch at 5ft high above the set...and yote turds with red fox pee squirted on it between the 2 corn cobs...both corn cobs were angled pointing at the pan..the yote pulled one of the cobs out and peed there...couldnt tell if they missed the pan or if its frozen or what...i left everything alone...they know where everything is...they might slip up...if they make it through the tree line without getting cabled first! times running down...

on a side note...i havent washed or combed that yote from today yet...but she looks very nice from what i can see...no visible rubs...looks mangy and matted up in the pics but i ran my hand across the fur and fluffed it and it looks good...neat black face and black lines on the shins...hard to see in the pics but very obvious in person..

oh....forgot to mention...the hayset was burried under the snow...like all the sets were...i set them all a few days ago and decided not to touch any of them unless i have to till the season ends..i knew the snow would start burning off pretty quick so didnt see a reason to dig them out or fluff the haysets...that hayset was completely under snow..answered one of my questions ive had about yotes finding sets through snow..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: hayset yote!

Now thats what im talkin about.
Nice job Mauser.

Trap and Hunt... Sleep When You Die.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Looks good MAuser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great job! Beautiful yote. With all the action your having on your other sets it shouldn't be long before you connect again

Team Home Wrecker- Coming to a field near you!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats Mauser! Hay set has been good to you. The hay set produced a racoon and 2 foxes for me. I caught almost everything this year except a darn coyote> Well I only have a few traps that I can check behind the house, but you never know this could be the lucky last week.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats Mauser!

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

congrats
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM
The Man

Congrats Devin!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Nice!

Never Misses
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice work Mauser!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page