Set tonight? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Set tonight?

I was going to set my first hay set for red fox tonight. The weather shows rain the next two days. Should I do it or wait until the weekend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM

Re: Set tonight?

You can't catch them when your traps are in a bucket ! get'em set !!!

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I wasn't sure if the two days of rain would wash the lure away and make it worthless. I do agree you can't catch something if they aren't out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 PM

If you are on location with your sets it doesn't take much lure/bait to catch'em. I may add a squirt of pee every 10 days or so no matter the weather. If I have a set that has produced I remake the set and add nothing. I think a lot of guys use to much stink and the critters shy away from the set. I have found most of my fox sets only start producing on the 3rd or 4th nite and once they start I don't do anything but remake. I have one set that I made 12 days before Christmas. I pulled it Christmas eve and reset on Jan. 2nd I have only rebaited/relured this set the 1st time I made it and on Jan. 2nd and have taken 5 fox and 11 huge male coon from this set.
As for the weather... I made a dirthole set in a prime location in a grass/hay field on the 2nd of Jan. As of Jan. 14 I still had not connected and added a small shot of fox pee. After several rains and a little snow I could tell the fox I'd seen sign of was still in the area and new it was a matter of time. I've had deer working the set so I knew the "stink" was still working and on Jan. 27 I connected with a large female red fox that was burried so deep in a Duke 1.5 cs. A perfect full paw catch. So don't worry about the rain and snow to much just keep those sets from freezing and clogging with mud and you'll pinch them.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

agree with Long Beard, don't need much lure or urine canines have a great sense of smell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page