short tail weasel vs long tail weasel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

short tail weasel vs long tail weasel

Ok, so what's the deal? Can both species get to a big size, but you tell them apart by tail length? I've seen itty bitty ermines with short tails- ok that's a short tail I assume. Then I have a brown weasel of small size with a pretty long looking tail. Then there's these huge all white weasels from NY, plus some in brown and some in "greyback" ( changing from summer brown to winter white). These big ones seem to always have a tail that looks long to me. I always assumed the long tail was the bigger species. However there is a NY trapper at taxi-net selling a buttload of ermines, and has a big ermine pictured as well. It's huge in size, like the big ones I used to get from my old furbuyer in NY. The trapper is saying he doesn't see them that big very often and asks more money for it. My old furbuyer charged the same no matter the size and the # of big ones he sent me over the years leads me to believe they are common up there.

Anyhow I am now totally confused!

For the record, I can tell a least weasel from a little ermine type- the leasts do not have the black tip on the tail. My old furbuyer never sent me any leasts, not even sure you can legally have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: short tail weasel vs long tail weasel

I caught on in a 110 w mink wire along a grassy meadow stream. It was carrying a field sparrow when it got caught. had it by the hips and it still would not give up the sparrow. Have it mounted. That weasel nearly made it through the 110 w minkwire w the bird!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Regular Visitor

I guess I'm in the same boat as you foxtrapperwoman. To my knowledge the long tail weasel is a slightly larger species. Although they are both pretty small critters. Like most species you're probably going to find some large specimens amonst all the others. I once caught a very large weasel around here(Just north of Harrisburg). It was a long tail and like panaxman stated, mine was carrying a mouse and never dropped it.

What Lies Before us
What Lies Behind us
Is Nothing Compared to
What Lies Within Us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

No kidding, tells you how tenaciuos those little buggers are. The one I caught let go of the sparrow after a dropped the entire works in 12" of water. There used to be alot around. My grandfather trapped them for 2.00 bounty in the 30's-40's. Listening to his weasel trapping stories as a young boy ignited the trapping fire in me. He was [censored] proud of me when I caught my first fox at 13
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 04:58 PM

WEASELS!

Join the PTA. Life member PTA
http://www.patrappers.com/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
New Arrival

Shorttail and longtail weasels can be hard to tell apart because a male shorttail and a female longtail are about the same size. If it's a male and has a head and body longer than 9 inches and a tail longer than 4 inches, it's a longtail. If it's a female and has a head and body longer than 8 inches and a tail longer than 3 inches, it's a longtail.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:59 PM

It's all about the tail.Short tail have short tails long tails long tails. Heres a pic of both the short tail is a little smaller but you can see a big difference in the tail porportions.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:12 PM
New Arrival

Nice weasels Jay. You're right. It's all about the relative proportions of body size and tail length. It's pretty easy to tell the two species apart when you have two weasels side by side that have about the same body size but obvious differences in tail length. If you've handled a lot of weasels it's easy to know the difference too. It's when you only have one weasel to look at that it's more difficult to judge. The measurements I gave earlier should help in that case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page